I'm starting a new startup big project, should I use Janus as main database to store all my data?

Augusto Will

Aug 2, 2017, 9:56:53 AM8/2/17
to JanusGraph users list
I'm thinking about learn Janus to use in my new big project but i can't understand some things.

Janus can be used like any database and supports "insert", "update", "delete"  operations so Janus will write data into Cassandra or other database to store these data, right?

Where Janus store the Nodes, Edges, Attributes etc, it will write these into database, right?

These data should be loaded in memory by Janus or will be read from Cassandra all the time?

The data that Janus read, must be load in Janus in every query or it will do selects in database to retrieve the data I need?

The data retrieved in database is only what I need or Janus will read all records in database all the time?

Should I use Janus in my project in production or should I wait until it becomes production ready?

I'm developing some kind of social network that need to store friendship, posts, comments, user blocks and do some elasticsearch too, in this case, what database backend should I use?

Thank you.

Kelvin Lawrence

Aug 2, 2017, 6:47:01 PM8/2/17
to JanusGraph users list
Hi there,

I don't think it would be appropriate to make definitive recommendations as to whether or not to use Janus in production for your needs. The best way to decide on that is to install it and run some tests. What I do know is that on this list a number of people have indicated they either already are or plan to build solutions that include Janus Graph.

As to your other questions here are some answers.

Janus graph supports the Gremlin query and traversal language that let's you add, delete, update nodes and edges to a graph.

Janus supports numerous back end stores that include Cassandra, HBase and Berkley DB and it can also run just in memory which is good for testing. The graph data is persisted to the back end store.

Deciding which back end store to use will depend on many factors. You will want to consider things like number of users and whether you care more about consistency or availability when making that choice.

I would encourage you to install Janus and run some tests and see what works best for your needs. I'm sure people on this list can help if you encounter issues as you experiment.

HTH

Kelvin