[DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.5.0 release

Oleksandr Porunov

Jul 2, 2019, 4:30:07 AM7/2/19
to JanusGraph developers
Hi everyone,

0.2.3 and 0.3.2 are released and 0.4.0 is going to be released soon. I would like to add a new feature "Add support for ElasticSearch 7". The feature makes a small breaking changes, that is why it should be targeted to a new "feature branch". We discussed earlier that the community cannot support more than 2 branches right now.
I see a small drawback in dropping support for "0.3" branch because all users who are running ES < 5 or Solr < 7 or Cassandra < 2.1 will not be supported anymore. But on the other side, we cannot support deprecated backends for too long.
That is why, I would suggest creating "0.4" branch, making "master" branch as "0.5.0-SNAPSHOT" and support "0.3" branch till 0.3.3 release. After that we will support only "0.4" and "master" branches.

In "0.5" release I would like to propose include:
- Adding support for ES 7 (#1648)
- Dropping mapping types for either ES 7 or ES 8 (need to discuss). We are required to drop support for mapping types in ES 8 but ES 7 mapping types are optional (can be dropped or saved).
- Drop support for ES < 6 because ES 5.x is EOL
- Do not retrieve unnecessary fields during index search (#1647 and #1652)
- Update TinkerPop to 3.4.2
- Add support for raw lucene date range queries (#1615)
- Extract JanusGraph Gremlin driver requirements (#1521)

What the community members think about it? Are you OK with making "0.3.3" the last release in "0.3" branch and moving current master to "0.4" branch after the "0.4.0" release?

I am proposing to make releases faster with smaller changes instead of waiting for a lot of changes to arrive. I don't see anything bad if we release one release every 1 or 2 months with several small changes.

Best regards,
Oleksandr Porunov

Jan Jansen

Jul 2, 2019, 4:46:13 AM7/2/19
to JanusGraph developers
I would also add dropping of Cassandra 2 support (including Thrift).

These feature set sounds good for me to be integrate into JanusGraph 0.5.

The update of TinkerPop 3.4.2 could be integrate also into 0.4.x.

Greetings,
Jan

Jason Plurad

Jul 2, 2019, 9:44:11 AM7/2/19
to JanusGraph developers
+1

If there are folks in the community that want continued support for old/non-supported versions of backend dependencies, we would need those same folks to step up to help managing those maintenance branches. If you fall into that category, please speak up.

Chris Hupman

Jul 5, 2019, 7:08:50 PM7/5/19
to JanusGraph developers
+1

I'd really like to see all of our current known github vulnerabilities get addressed in 0.5.0 as well.

Also we should add a graph of the gods with schema constraints to improve testing and user adoption of the feature.

Chris

Oleksandr Porunov

Jan 26, 2020, 3:29:39 PM1/26/20
to JanusGraph developers
Some of the changes taking too much time. I was thinking that we can finalize 0.5.0 release soon with those changes which we currently have, and move non-finished, breaking issues to version 0.6.0.
Most of the features for 0.5.0 are implemented long time ago, and users would like to start using those features, I believe we should not hold releases because of unfinished changes (which are not guaranteed to be finished anytime soon).

My suggestions is:
- Make 0.6.0 milestone and move remaining breaking issues from 0.5.0 to 0.6.0
- Release 0.5.0 version
- Make v0.5 branch
- Target master branch to 0.6.0-SNAPSHOT
- Drop support for 0.4 branch (because we are agreed to support only 2 branches. Also, the only breaking difference between 0.4 and 0.5 branches is that 0.5 branch has no support for ElasticSearch 5 which is EOL)

I am volunteering to be a release manager for 0.5.0 version. If anyone else wants to take this role, please speak up.
If no objections are received during the next 3 days, I assume we have a consensus.

Best regards,
Oleksandr

Jan Jansen

Jan 27, 2020, 6:01:49 AM1/27/20
to JanusGraph developers
I would like to get following PR https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/pull/1940 merged before releasing 0.5.0. This would prevent to breaking changes of janusgraph-hadoop in two releases.

Oleksandr Porunov

Mar 10, 2020, 12:35:07 AM3/10/20
to JanusGraph developers

Jan Jansen

Mar 11, 2020, 5:42:00 PM3/11/20
to JanusGraph developers
Do you like to create a new branch and bump snapshot version to 0.6.0-SNAPSHOT?

Oleksandr Porunov

Mar 11, 2020, 5:46:47 PM3/11/20
to JanusGraph developers
I would like to release 0.5.0 before creating a new branch and bumping it to 0.6.0-SNAPSHOT. Currently I am trying to fix release process which is broken in 0.5.0 release. We didn't shade some dependency correctly, so some of our jars are broken.
I fixed it, but I still experiencing some errors during releasing. I will try to fix those problems asap

Jan Jansen

Mar 11, 2020, 6:10:42 PM3/11/20
to JanusGraph developers
Okay.

Should we include the refactoring of hadoop in the notable feature list.

Oleksandr Porunov

Mar 11, 2020, 6:19:37 PM3/11/20
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, would you be able to include it?