mailto URL handling

255 visningar

Tim Gray

oläst,
7 apr. 2011 23:56:002011-04-07
till iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
I'm new to iTerm. Great program. I'm a little unclear as to how to get the
mailto: url handling do anything useful. Mutt is my email client if that
matters... Does anyone have any pointers?

George Nachman

oläst,
8 apr. 2011 01:07:412011-04-08
till iterm2-...@googlegroups.com, Tim Gray
You can right click on a mailto: address and choose "Send email". If you cmd-click on it, it should open whatever app is registered to handle mailto: URLs.

Tim Gray

oläst,
8 apr. 2011 01:16:122011-04-08
till George Nachman, iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
On Apr 07, 2011 at 10:07 PM -0700, George Nachman wrote:
>You can right click on a mailto: address and choose "Send email". If you
>cmd-click on it, it should open whatever app is registered to handle
>mailto:URLs.

I should have been more specific. I'm not trying to click on a mailto link in
iTerm, but the other way around. I thought you could set up iTerm to be the
recipient of mailto links (much like you can set it up for SSH). I was hoping
there was some way to click on a link in Safari and have it pop open a new
iTerm window that called 'mutt na...@address.com'. Or something along those
lines.

George Nachman

oläst,
8 apr. 2011 01:38:372011-04-08
till iterm2-...@googlegroups.com, George Nachman
This is actually possible, but not well documented. First, use the latest nightly (just uploaded!), which has a humane interface for this kind of thing.
You can set the command to "/usr/local/bin/myscript $$URL$$", where myscript parses the URL and runs your mail program. The $$URL$$ is replaced with the full url including the mailto: prefix.

In the next release (not tonight's--the change didn't make it in time) you'll be able to use $$RES$$ to access just the email address portion of a mailto: uri.

Tim Gray

oläst,
8 apr. 2011 10:03:332011-04-08
On Apr 07, 2011 at 10:38 PM -0700, George Nachman wrote:
>In the next release (not tonight's--the change didn't make it in time)
>you'll be able to use $$RES$$ to access just the email address portion of a
>mailto: uri.

Thanks! Works great. Mutt can handle mailto: uris as a command line
argument, so this works well for me as is.

Michael Rademacher

oläst,
8 apr. 2011 02:59:302011-04-08
till iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Fri, 08.04.11, at 08:50 George Nachman <gnac...@llamas.org> wrote:

> You can right click on a mailto: address and choose "Send email". If you
> cmd-click on it, it should open whatever app is registered to handle
> mailto: URLs.

Using mutt in iTerm2 Build 0.20.20110301 on MacOS X 10.6.7 cmd-click on (for
example) mailto:tg...@protozoic.com opens Firefox which then is trying to
connect to http://mailto:tg...@protozoic.com/.

Just wondering, most likely I missed something.

Kind regards - Radi.

signature.asc

George Nachman

oläst,
8 apr. 2011 11:09:152011-04-08
till iterm2-...@googlegroups.com, iterm2-...@googlegroups.com
That looks like a bug, please file a report.

Tim Gray

oläst,
8 apr. 2011 11:16:072011-04-08
On Apr 08, 2011 at 08:59 AM +0200, Michael Rademacher wrote:
>Using mutt in iTerm2 Build 0.20.20110301 on MacOS X 10.6.7 cmd-click on (for
>example) mailto:tg...@protozoic.com opens Firefox which then is trying to
>connect to http://mailto:tg...@protozoic.com/.

So what I did, assuming you are using the newest nightly build, is to make a
new profile called 'mail reply' or whatever you wish. In the general section,
down at the bottom in 'URL Schemes', select 'mailto'. Then, in the Command
section, select 'Command' and enter:

/usr/local/bin/mutt $$URL$$

or whatever the path to your mutt is. Then, when you click on a mailto link
in your browser, iTerm should fire up a new window with mutt loaded and
addressed to the mailto link.

As far as cmd-clicking on a mailto in iTerm, it does appear to open in browser
window. You have to right click it and select "Send email to selected
address" instead. Maybe that could be changed? Shouldn't all mailto links
and email addresses open up in your mail program and not in a browser?

George Nachman

oläst,
10 apr. 2011 20:33:132011-04-10
till iterm2-...@googlegroups.com

As far as cmd-clicking on a mailto in iTerm, it does appear to open in browser window.  You have to right click it and select "Send email to selected address" instead.  Maybe that could be changed?  Shouldn't all mailto links and email addresses open up in your mail program and not in a browser?

Fixed in r753.
Svara alla
Svara författaren
Vidarebefordra