Removing a package that's installed, but cannot be found

Gal Benron

Mar 13, 2014, 4:44:11 AM3/13/14
to israel-r-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

First of all I have to apologise in advance, I'm a biologist and don't know anything about computers and / or R.
That's the main reason I'm running into trouble now.
I use a script written for me by a former post doc in the lab, and literally use it like a monkey that puts in data.
I am using a script that requires the package "diversitree".
I had everything running smoothly until I had to change my hard disk (on a mac-mini) and had to install everything from scratch.
I installed R and downloaded diversitree version 0.9-6.
Unfortunately there's a bug there when using a mac (confirmed online).
I want to remove the package and install version 0.9-3 which I know for sure works (fellow worker uses that version).
When I go to package installer I see the installed version is 0.9-6.
When I go to package manager I see diversitree is there, not loaded.
However when I try to remove it, this is what happens:

> remove.packages(diversitree)
Error in remove.packages(diversitree) : object 'diversitree' not found

WHY?

Also, during set up I get this:

During startup - Warning messages:
1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"
4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"
5: Setting LC_MONETARY failed, using "C"
[R.app GUI 1.63 (6660) x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0]

Does this have anything to do with the first problem?
A friend tried to help me and saw there's a problem with my c compiler.
Of course I have no idea what that is.

Any ideas? Please remember to dumb it down for a non-computer person...
Thanks

Jonathan Rosenblatt

Mar 13, 2014, 6:20:30 AM3/13/14
to israel-r-user-group
To updated it, you can just overwrite the current version (0.9-7)

# To update the package:
> update.packages('diversetree')
# To load:
> library(diversitree)

If you insist on version (0.9-3), you can download the source from here and build the package yourself.
Installing a package from source using RStudio is not very complicated, but you might probably need assistance.

Also, if I may, you should really take the time to read the "Introduction to R" manual.
At the price of two-three working days, you will avoid many headaches.

Jonathan

Jonathan Rosenblatt
www.john-ros.com