Oral Histories Solution Pack as an Islandora component

Kirsta Stapelfeldt

Aug 12, 2016, 11:29:36 AM8/12/16
to islandora
The University of Toronto Scarborough Library proposes that  the Islandora Oral Histories Solution Pack https://github.com/digitalutsc/islandora_solution_pack_oralhistories  become an Islandora component, with a
canonical repo on GitHub owned by the Islandora Foundation, subject to the same release management and documentation processes as other Islandora modules.

The module is available under the GPLv3 license.

All contributors are included under The University of Toronto Scarborough’s Contributor Licence Agreement, or have signed a CLA, and sent it in to Melissa Anez
(Project & Community Manager).

Kirsta Stapelfeldt
Coordinator, Digital Scholarship Unit | Liaison Librarian, Computer Sciences
Library

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO SCARBOROUGH
AC 278 | 1265 Military Trail, Toronto, Ontario, M1C 1A4
416-208-2937
https://utsc.library.utoronto.ca/

Kirsta Stapelfeldt

Aug 12, 2016, 11:37:18 AM8/12/16
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Melissa brought up a good point - I should clarify here that we’re aiming to put this into Labs so it can catch pull requests in a more transparent way. We don’t have a local maintainer for the module at the moment.

Kirsta

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Amanda Lehman

Aug 12, 2016, 12:05:00 PM8/12/16
to islandora
+1 The University of Wyoming uses the solution pack and would like to see it continue to be supported.

Happy Friday!
Amanda

Nick Ruest

Aug 15, 2016, 2:36:49 PM8/15/16
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kirsta,

This is really great to see!

Questions; will this have a maintainer? And, is the intention that go to
the core organization or labs?

-nruest
> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv
> Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> ---

Kirsta Stapelfeldt

Aug 15, 2016, 2:50:20 PM8/15/16
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick -

My follow-up on this thread must have gotten chopped - Our immediate intention was for this to go into Labs, since we don’t have a maintainer, but since then, a maintainer may have emerged from another institution — stay tuned!

Kirsta
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to islandora+...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/51a0e07a-7520-8f78-2dff-539512c1abb5%40gmail.com.

Alex Kent

Oct 20, 2016, 9:27:47 AM10/20/16
to islandora
We are testing this out on a development site, has anyone else had a chance to try and use this yet?

Marcus Emmanuel Barnes

Oct 20, 2016, 11:08:43 AM10/20/16
to islandora
Hi, Alex:

Here are some sites that currently use the Islandora Oral History Solution Pack (with links to specific objects):

https://wosl.lib.msu.edu/islandora/object/wosl%3A53
http://cjf.dhinitiative.org/islandora/object/cjf%3A122?solr_nav[id]=5cae1cc1362285654181&solr_nav[page]=0&solr_nav[offset]=0
http://fabb.to.cnr.it/islandora/object/fabboral%3A7
https://uwdigital.uwyo.edu/islandora/object/wyu%3A170312
https://digitalscholarship.utsc.utoronto.ca/projects/islandora/object/ehrn%3A538

Natkeeran Ledchumykanthan, myself, and others at the University of Toronto Scarborough Library Digital Scholarship Unit are actively working on supporting and improving the solution pack.

Thank you for giving the solution pack a try.   I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Yours truly,

Marcus

Alex Kent

Oct 20, 2016, 11:19:11 AM10/20/16
to islandora
Thanks for the links! It's helpful to see production examples.   Do you have documentation/configuration guides on setting it up? We would be highly interested in using this on a production site if possible.

Thanks again,

Alex

Giancarlo Birello

Oct 20, 2016, 11:21:20 AM10/20/16
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alex,

here http://fabbdev.to.cnr.it/doku.php?id=isla7x:or my steps to install this very great module!

Ciao,

Giancarlo

Mike Demers

Oct 21, 2016, 9:02:32 AM10/21/16
to islandora
Hi Alex,

We are using it as well. I don't have any documentation but once you figure out how it works it can be pretty flexible. So far we've used it by making time-coded indexes in OHMS and importing a transformed OHMS document as the transcript datastream. Here are some examples:
http://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora:2461124

-Mike

Simon Mai

Nov 10, 2016, 11:14:57 AM11/10/16
to islandora
Hi Kirsta,
I am getting this error "This transcript is still being processed for display."
I installed all of required modules/libraries.
Even testing with the test XML transcript file on your github, I still get that error.
What is causing it?
Thanks.
Simon.

Marcus Emmanuel Barnes

Nov 10, 2016, 11:28:34 AM11/10/16
to islandora
Dear Simon:

This is probably best dealt with off-list.  Would you please create a GitHub issue so that we can better track and investigate further?  Here's the link to the repository:

https://github.com/digitalutsc/islandora_solution_pack_oralhistories

If you could provide the following (as appropriate) with your issue, this will help us while investigating:

* configuration details
* the steps taken to upload or create the oral history object
* any other details or files that may help us reproduce the error or isolate what may be occurring for you.

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Marcus

Kirsta Stapelfeldt

Nov 10, 2016, 11:31:51 AM11/10/16
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Marcus!

 (what he said)

:D

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Simon Mai

Nov 10, 2016, 11:49:52 AM11/10/16
to islandora
I posted the issue on github.
Thanks for quick reply, Marcus.

Alex Kent

Nov 15, 2016, 10:56:52 AM11/15/16
to islandora
Hi everyone, here is a first draft of documentation for ingesting oral histories:

Please use and provide any feedback here on this thread.  Thanks!

Alex Kent

Jan 6, 2017, 12:14:31 PM1/6/17
to islandora
In testing out the oral history solution pack, we are trying out the xml and the vtt file type.  Could someone help explain why one would be better to use than the other?  We are currently using XML.  It seems like this would be more flexible/universal, and easier to edit.

Thanks in advance!

Marcus Emmanuel Barnes

Jan 6, 2017, 1:16:22 PM1/6/17
to islandora
Hi, Alex:

Below are some initial thoughts on the pros and cons of the using the XML format file versus VTT for the transcription files:

XML:

Pro:

* you can validate easier
* support for multiple language tiers
* more structured (so you can use XSLTs to create derivatives of some sort - even a single tier VTT file.)

Con:

* custom schema - if you already have transcripts, you will have to adapt them to this schema.

VTT:

Pro:

* W3C Standard https://w3c.github.io/webvtt/
* HTML5 support and wider support in browsers
* Since it's a standard, transcript files may already exits as VTT files

Con:

* Does not currently support multiple language tiers.

Beyond the pros and cons above, there are issues of local preference based on available tools and resources for creating transcriptions that would make someone choose one approach over the other.

Right now, it's the support for multiple language tiers that would be the main reason for choosing XML over VTT files for the transcripts.

Yours truly,

Marcus Barnes
Application Developer, Digital Scholarship Unit (DSU) at the University of Toronto Scarborough Library