7.x-1.7 RC1 Releasing Today

Daniel Aitken

Mar 3, 2016, 9:44:01 AM3/3/16
to islandora
Hi all you fine folks out there!

Just a quick update (and some reminders): today is the scheduled date of the first release candidate for Islandora 7.x-1.7!

If you're listed on the spreadsheet as a tester, we'll be minting an RC1 by the end of the day today and have it ready for testing! This thread will be responded to with instructions for downloading and running the RC1 virtual machine.

If you don't remember if you're on the spreadsheet, or where it is, here you go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PRv2Xo-sNE_sDJHUT5OvTXmNiSHnkdJgwo7VsFkIUgY/edit#gid=2093695402

A friendly reminder as well: if you're on the list as an auditor for the README or the license for any particular component (or any sub-components listed in a component's GitHub repository), you can get started on that at any time! The particulars of auditing a README are fairly simple, and the particulars of auditing a license just might be simpler, so it shouldn't steal much time away from you! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the component manager or, y'know, respond to this thread; we're here to help.

I'd like to give us three week's time to vet the first release candidate (i.e., complete this round by end-of-day on the 24th of March). This should give us enough time to do some initial testing, and if anything seriously blocker-like comes up, it also gives us time to do some fixes and mint a second release candidate. If you do find such a bug, check the repository's CONTRIBUTING.md for instructions on what to do.

If this testing window doesn't work for you, that's okay! Let us know, and we'll figure something out, even if that means reassigning the testing for a particular component.

A huge thank-you to all of our listed volunteers! Honestly, all of this would be impossible without all of you. Good luck in your duties!

Your RM Person Thing,

Daniel Aitken

Daniel Aitken

Mar 8, 2016, 5:22:52 PM3/8/16
to islandora
G'day everyone, apologies for the delay! Apparently, getting large files off my laptop and out into the wide world is quite the conundrum! Because of this, I'll be pushing the vetting for the first candidate back to the 28th of March; this way, there shouldn't be an undue amount of pressure on the testers/auditors.

The RC1 VM is available here: http://alpha.library.yorku.ca/releases/7.x-1.7/Islandora_7.x-1.7_RC1.ova - check the "using VirtualBox" section of the installation documentation (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/ISLANDORA/Virtual+Machine) for information on how to install this.

For those that want to use Vagrant, a 7.x-1.7 branch of https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant has been created.

The base responsibilities of each type of reviewer of a component are listed in the CONTRIBUTING.md on every repository (https://github.com/Islandora/islandora/blob/7.x/CONTRIBUTING.md#participate-in-a-release), but here's a basic rundown:

Auditors: Those doing the licenses are making sure that the LICENSE.txt in the repository is an unaltered version of the GNU General Public License (version 3.0). Those doing the README.md are ensuring that the README.md in each repository follows the README template (https://github.com/Islandora/islandora/wiki/Readme-template).

Testers: Your job is a bit more esoteric; you're essentially ensuring that the module does what it says on the tin. Some of these are more cut-and-dry; solution packs, for example, are pretty plain in their functionality, whereas the tools and viewers may be a little more tricky. The core is to make sure that nothing goes wrong (is a bug) in the execution of tasks relating to that module's functionality. If something does, add it to JIRA (https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa), making sure that:

  • The project is ISLANDORA
  • The issue type is 'Bug'
  • The '' is 7.x-1.7
  • The component is the module you're testing

That'll flag it as at least needing looking at for the release. We can then determine if it's related to that specific module, and whether or not it would block the release.

Thank you so much again, all, for your contributions, and again, many apologies for the delay in getting the VM up!

- Dan