embed islandora content in other sites

Jennifer Eustis

Oct 28, 2015, 3:29:10 PM10/28/15
to islandora
Hi folks,

One of our users would love to be able to embed repository content along with its viewer in other sites such as a WordPress blog or page. Is there anyone out there already doing that?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Nick Ruest

Oct 28, 2015, 3:32:09 PM10/28/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jennifer,

There is a feature ticket[1] in JIRA for this.

I believe OU Libraries has started some work on this. But, it tied to
their Islandora implementation.

I think it would be great if we -- as a community -- can figure out a
strategy for generalizing this.

cheers!

-nruest

[1] https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/ISLANDORA-1324
> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv
> Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/c353f0d6-6ec6-4cea-ba48-b8ec85f0d025%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/c353f0d6-6ec6-4cea-ba48-b8ec85f0d025%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Nate Hill

Oct 28, 2015, 3:47:06 PM10/28/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in this as well. Thanks!
Nate
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to islandora+...@googlegroups.com.

Nate Hill
Executive Director
Metropolitan New York Library Council

Diego Pino

Oct 28, 2015, 4:07:13 PM10/28/15
to islandora
Hi Jennifer, Nick, Nate, you mean something like a clean (without the drupal headers and stuff) exposed URL that can be put into an iframe or more like an exposed service that outputs some reusable data (json, etc) that can be rendered/fetched via ajax or whatever?
I think it's pretty possible (both, at different levels of coding effort). My only concern could be the viewers (extracting the drupal libraries as independent js, maybe not that hard) and also how much your "source instance" could become over-used by external calls. But drupal side caching could help in a first instance.

Do you have a use case/ideas i can inspect?

Best

Diego

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv

Nick Ruest

Oct 28, 2015, 4:17:28 PM10/28/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hey Diego,

I probably didn't do a very good job of explaining it in the ticket, but
the proposal is to use oEmbed[1] and probably tie in with the Drupal
oEmbed module[2].

Inspiration for this came from a talk at the Portland Code4Lib: Making
your digital objects embeddable around the web - Jessie Keck and Jack
Reed[3].

-nruest

[1] http://oembed.com/
[2] https://www.drupal.org/project/oembed
[3] https://youtu.be/i853dLWavZA?t=394

On 2015-10-28 04:07 PM, Diego Pino wrote:
> Hi Jennifer, Nick, Nate, you mean something like a clean (without the
> drupal headers and stuff) exposed URL that can be put into an iframe or
> more like an exposed service that outputs some reusable data (json, etc)
> that can be rendered/fetched via ajax or whatever?
> I think it's pretty possible (both, at different levels of coding
> effort). My only concern could be the viewers (extracting the drupal
> libraries as independent js, maybe not that hard) and also how much your
> "source instance" could become over-used by external calls. But drupal
> side caching could help in a first instance.
>
> Do you have a use case/ideas i can inspect?
>
> Best
>
> Diego
>
> On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 4:47:06 PM UTC-3, Nate Hill wrote:
>
> I'm interested in this as well. Thanks!
> Nate
>
> On Wednesday, October 28, 2015, Nick Ruest <rue...@gmail.com
> an email to islandora+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:islandora+...@googlegroups.com>.
> <http://groups.google.com/group/islandora>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/c353f0d6-6ec6-4cea-ba48-b8ec85f0d025%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our
> Listserv Guidelines:
> http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> <http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/563122B5.4070107%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/563122B5.4070107%40gmail.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> *Nate Hill*
> Executive Director
> Metropolitan New York Library Council
> metro.org <http://metro.org>
> 917-375-0332
>

> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv
> Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/3884ee6c-301f-4a3c-91da-2fcac0145484%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/3884ee6c-301f-4a3c-91da-2fcac0145484%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Diego Pino

Oct 28, 2015, 4:30:53 PM10/28/15
to islandora
No worries Nick, you did a nice Job on that ticket, but since Jennifer did not mention it i thought of opening the question to wider options (if needed). http://oembed.com looks perfectly fine. If https://github.com/OULibraries/islandora_embed would like to pass that module to Islandora Labs i could manage to make it more general. Looks already nice, i would just move the book implementation to a more general level and some recoding. Great job there.

Thanks!

Diego

Jennifer Eustis

Oct 28, 2015, 5:06:07 PM10/28/15
to islandora
You are all awesome!

The thought here was to be able to have functionality similar to that of iframe. here's our use case: the user sees this awesome digital resources and has the option to share via all the normal venues and then also has the option to embed. When the user clicks on embed, they can copy the code and paste it into a WordPress blog or page or any other site. This is what you see on YouTube and other similar sites.

Jennifer

Donald Moses

Oct 29, 2015, 7:03:32 AM10/29/15
to islandora
I like the idea of using oEmbed.  At UPEI we wanted to be able to place an islandora stored video or audio object anywhere on a Drupal node (to help create exhibits or narratives).  We (Paul Pound) extended the Video Filter module[1] and created the Islandora Video Filter module[2] - we could probably put that in Islandora Labs? oEmbed would allow for the display of content on non-Drupal sites ... so that's a great goal.
Donald

Tao Zhao

Oct 30, 2015, 3:10:11 PM10/30/15
to islandora
Hi Jennifer,

This is Tao Zhao from the University of Oklahoma Libraries. We developed the islandora embed module which is now used by our Galileo World Exhibition (e.g. https://galileo.ou.edu/exhibits/wonderful-machines-far-west).

On the server side we installed the islandora embed module to provide the oEmbed service. On the client side, the drupal oEmbed module is required and oEmbed fields were created based on the provided service to show the objects.

Right now we're working on the module and seeking any ideas to make it easily adopted by other collections with different url patterns. We're also more than happy to share our work with the community, exchange ideas with you guys, and provide any help if needed.

Thanks,

Tao

Diego Pino

Oct 30, 2015, 5:01:09 PM10/30/15
to islandora
Hi, great Tao Zhao, thanks for sharing your code and willingness to help. I also found some ideas on how drupal allows iframe content for normal entities https://www.drupal.org/project/entity_iframe. Will start thinking on some implementation details based on both modules, iframe based, and also oEmbed. Will probably ask for help =)

Best

Diego

Jennifer Eustis

Nov 2, 2015, 8:59:36 AM11/2/15
to islandora
This sounds great. When you need people to test, I'd be interested in helping out.

Jennifer