Windows 8 and WinRT

Adron Hall

Oct 30, 2012, 4:48:42 PM10/30/12
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
An easy set of questions:
  1. What should a Windows 8 UI enable - anything specifically? Should we aim for extensive Windows 8 support with Windows 8 specific features?
  2. What should a Win RT UI enable - same question, just oriented for the limited WinRT version which could prospectively be offered through the Windows Store.
Cheers,
Adron

ian.f.davis

Nov 4, 2012, 10:34:14 PM11/4/12
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Does it make sense to have a WinRT app when the user of that machine can only work with the tiled interface? What is the use case for someone with a glorified iPad deploying an app to the cloud? I don't think that they can really have the app folder sitting on their drive to publish (perhaps a shared drive).

-Ian

Adron Hall

Nov 5, 2012, 3:25:08 PM11/5/12
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, on mobile and tablet applications doing deployments for most frameworks is out of the question. Node.js is one of the only ones that might reasonably be deployed from a device like that. Otherwise the intent would be to create a purely management oriented interface on those devices.

As an example, check out the UX designed called Happy Clouds by Kristen Mozian http://kristenmozian.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/happy-clouds-wireframes-and-thoughts/

The UX works through the situation of push alerts and other things that would be useful in a management situation for a PaaS Environment.

Adron B Hall
Iron Foundry Projecthttp://www.ironfoundry.org

andyp...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2012, 11:53:18 AM11/7/12
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Right, I guess there are situations where you might be able to use a cloud-based IDE like eXo or Cloud9 in a tablet browser - hell, a Surface RT can have a keyboard cover, so there's a chance that would work ok. I suspect primarily you're more likely to be doing stuff with monitoring, stop/restart etc though.
--
Andy Piper | Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)
blog: http://andypiper.co.uk   |   skype: andypiperuk

Adron Hall

Nov 7, 2012, 6:50:16 PM11/7/12
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. I think if there is a chance that a mobile device would offer deployment, it would have to be a Win8 device at this point. There isn't even a clear way to get files on an iOS device in a logical or clean way.