working with teenagers

Monika Ryan

May 22, 2018, 11:20:09 PM5/22/18
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I am looking for a young person with a positive outlook, who might be interested in spending paid time with a teenagers.

For further information, or if you are interested, please call me on 0404 798 368.

Cheers,

Monika

Karl Auer

May 23, 2018, 12:39:45 AM5/23/18
On Wed, 2018-05-23 at 13:20 +1000, Monika Ryan wrote:
> I am looking for a young person with a positive outlook, who might be
> interested in spending paid time with a teenagers.

You should be cautious about offering employment on discriminatory
terms.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (ka...@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
Old fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A

Dan Dakis

May 23, 2018, 12:52:48 AM5/23/18
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com

Hey Monika,

I may be available to help with this or at the very least know someone who may be able to assist.

Could you please forward a few details?

Thanks,

Dan
Virus-free. www.avast.com

Monika Ryan

May 23, 2018, 9:50:05 PM5/23/18
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl,
As you may have a good point there, may I ask you how you would formulate this?
For example, I was looking for people who may be able to relate well to a 14 or 16 year old. And I thought that this was much more likely with people closer to their age group. How can I express this without being discriminating?
Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Monika

Karl Auer

May 23, 2018, 10:34:03 PM5/23/18
On Thu, 2018-05-24 at 11:50 +1000, Monika Ryan wrote:
> As you may have a good point there, may I ask you how you would
> formulate this?

The usual approach is to state what skills, experience and
characteristics the position actually requires in order for the task to
be carried out.

Then via applications, interviews and referees, figure out which of the
applicants actually has the attributes you need.

"Can relate well to teenagers" is fine, but "must be a young person" is
not. There are plenty of older people who can relate well to teenagers,
and plenty of young people who can't.

Apart from the damage to society and the hurt to those affected by it,
discrimination also artificially reduces the pool of suitable
candidates, so it harms the employer too.

Monika Ryan

May 23, 2018, 11:35:48 PM5/23/18
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much!
Monika

" discrimination also artificially reduces the pool of suitable candidates, so it harms the employer too."
Why do we need laws banning it?

Carsten Eckelmann

May 24, 2018, 1:34:59 AM5/24/18
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com
Because not every employer understands this. There are also laws for wearing seatbelts although it's obvious that one should wear one.
--
Cheers,

Carsten Eckelmann

Monika Ryan

May 24, 2018, 3:04:01 AM5/24/18
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com

I think that, as it was in my case, employers may not be aware that they are discriminative. I apologize to those I might have hurt. I did not mean to discriminate, and am glad to have learned something valuable. Thank you again Karl.

Cheers,

Carsten Eckelmann

Image removed by sender.

--

image001.jpg

Dan Tarasenko

May 24, 2018, 3:53:12 AM5/24/18
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com

I’ll try with a bit more detail.

Gary, a highly qualified, educated and experienced, older, gay, person of colour applies for a job at Rednecks r us pty ltd.

Gary is discarded as a candidate even though he is the best candidate for the business based on one of the above attributes.

The business loses Gary and ends up with a sub optimal employee called Barry who ends up stealing from the till sending the company broke.

Gary wins because he doesn’t end up working for people who don’t like him. He applies for a job elsewhere and gets it.

What is the problem? Who was harmed that shouldn’t be?

James Hebden

May 24, 2018, 4:11:01 AM5/24/18
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com
Please grind your axe elsewhere. Your contrived scenario is extremely silly.

> --
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carsten Eckelmann