Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

Mack

Jan 9, 2015, 9:18:21 AM1/9/15
to intersystems...@googlegroups.com
When reading a file via %Stream and on an OpenVMS system, the line is being terminated, despite utilizing the default or declaring the Terminator, at the end of each VMS block. Does anyone have any experience in identifying what needs to be done to ensure this does not occur?

David Whitten

Jan 9, 2015, 2:18:31 PM1/9/15
to intersystems...@googlegroups.com
VMS has typed files. Intersystems likes to use stream type files, but there are other kinds of text files in VMS. Perhaps that is your problem?

I think DIR/FULL can tell you what the type of the file is.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Mack <mack.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
When reading a file via %Stream and on an OpenVMS system, the line is being terminated, despite utilizing the default or declaring the Terminator, at the end of each VMS block. Does anyone have any experience in identifying what needs to be done to ensure this does not occur?

Caché, Ensemble, DeepSee

---

azhrei

Jan 14, 2015, 4:36:52 PM1/14/15
to intersystems...@googlegroups.com
how is the file being created, I may have run into something similar.

Mack

Jan 14, 2015, 6:07:57 PM1/14/15
to intersystems...@googlegroups.com
The file is created on a Linux/Windows/Windows Server system and then FTP'd to our OpenVMS system.

I can't say definitively how the file is created as we are not in control of this. Ultimately, we are advised of different "formats" a client can send us a file in. I say "formats" because as far as their knowledge goes is whether or not its text tab- or comma-delimited, EDI with standard or pipe delimiters, etc.

Since the Cache database is not used, and in most cases never heard of, by our clients, I want to be able to control our environment in a way where we can read files sent to is and write files to send out. I can't imagine every Cache developer is experiencing the guessing game every time they get a new file to review in their office.

Furthermore, our goal to be more object-oriented to allow agility in our department is being hindered since each file being read is written procedurally due to it being different in record length.

Mack

Jan 14, 2015, 9:52:49 PM1/14/15
to intersystems...@googlegroups.com
I'm still lost here. If Cache requires a format to be in the RMS STREAM file type, how do we go about ensuring the file is always of that file type? OpenVMS a users are saying you can't do that.

Is there anyone who deals with random file types that you have no control knee and has successfully streamlined a process to read them all?

Jim

Jan 15, 2015, 8:42:21 AM1/15/15

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 9:52:49 PM UTC-5, Mack wrote:
I'm still lost here. If Cache requires a format to be in the RMS STREAM file type, how do we go about ensuring the file is always of that file type?

Assuming that the file is "good" (does TYPE, EDIT or other VMS utility handle the file and show you what you'd expect?) but just not the flavor that Cache prefers for this operation, then converting the file to have the desired attributes after it arrives might be an option?

$ convert/fdl=("record; format stream_lf") file.dat file.dat

azhrei

Jan 15, 2015, 10:11:50 AM1/15/15
to intersystems...@googlegroups.com
that's what I thought, it is your ftp(more than likely sftp) process that is messing with the file.

I installed samba on vms and transfer the files that way and a lot easier too.