HS-805BB cheaper alternative

Cindy Collin

Jul 15, 2017, 4:19:12 PM7/15/17
to InMoov

Anyone know if there are cheaper alternatives to the HS-805BB?  I tried looking for the TowerPro 9805BB but can't find it anywhere.  Any help would be great!

William Hall

Jul 16, 2017, 1:28:48 PM7/16/17
to InMoov
FS6535M Giant Scale Servo Motor - Try these. They are available at Robotshop.com and I'm sure through other distributors.

Alan Timm

Jul 16, 2017, 1:58:18 PM7/16/17
to InMoov
I like these:

They're nice, strong, and cheap (~$16.00).  Only downside is that they're default 90 degree rotation and non-programmable.
So to get full 180 degree rotation you need to add in a couple of 2.2k-2.5k resistors in line with the pot + and - leads.
This shouldn't really be a problem because you'll be disassembling almost all of them for the external pot mod anyways.
(Random youtube clip showing modification)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0k-9CklRE0

Alan
Message has been deleted

RobotGuy6

Jul 16, 2017, 4:49:35 PM7/16/17
to InMoov
Well cheapo Cindy try googling Tower Pro TS-80 servos...

Cindy Collin

Jul 16, 2017, 4:58:13 PM7/16/17
to InMoov
I did and they don't make them anymore.

Acapulco Rolf

Jul 17, 2017, 3:46:12 AM7/17/17
to InMoov

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 21:19:12 UTC+1, Cindy Collin wrote:

Anyone know if there are cheaper alternatives to the HS-805BB?  I tried looking for the TowerPro 9805BB but can't find it anywhere.  Any help would be great!

Hi Cindy

​Here are a couple of alternatives

These 20Kg 180 degree servos are working out for me as an HS805BB alternate in the shoulders, biceps and neck
DomanRC DM-S2000MD link
Metal gear 180 degree 20kg digital servo

These servos are also working out well in my InMoov (shoulders/biceps):
JX PDI 6221MG-180 link
Metal gear 180 degree 20kg digital servo

There appear to be two variants of the JX PDI 6221MG servo
One has "PDI-6221MG-180" written on the servo casing
One does not bear the "PDI-6221MG-180" name on the casing (see image below)

Both variants sweep through 180 from 500us to 2500us pulse width

The labelling on the PDI 6221 MG servo boxes shows a difference in the dead band values for the two variants

I have both variants in my InMoov and they're working out well

So far so good with both variants (biceps, shoulders, neck)

My InMoov with these servos in place:

DM S2000MD
Sourced here on sale at less than £7.00 a piece including shipping (to the U.K.)

JX PDI6221 MG
Sourced online for ~ £10.00 a piece including shipping (to the U.K.)

Acapulco Rolf

Jul 17, 2017, 3:51:38 AM7/17/17
to InMoov
vendor url corrected for the DM S2000MD servo

DM S2000MD
Sourced here on sale at less than £7.00 a piece including shipping (to the U.K.)

Richard Zimmerman

Jul 17, 2017, 8:37:22 AM7/17/17
to InMoov
Boy did I get lucky!!!, I recently received my order of 14 TS-80 servos from Tower Hobbies. After much debating, I decided to order them all at once, Now there Discontinued!!!

gael langevin

Jul 17, 2017, 4:29:22 PM7/17/17
to Richard Zimmerman, InMoov
Hello Cindy,
I have built my second InMoov02 with the HK15338 and got two servos to replace (one of the metal gear on the motor disassemble from the shaft, the other it's the brushes on the motor that simply broke ). The motors aren't as good as the 805bb manufacture.

The thing is, I put my InMoov under a lot of stress, full days of Makerfaires with people cheking his hand and more!
So I recently purchased for my InMoov03 some PDI-HV2060MG. They did two Makerfaires in the omoplate and are handling well for now.
The downside is that just like the HK15338, you need to add some 2,2k resistors to extend the degree rotation from 90 to 180.

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

Cindy Collin

Jul 17, 2017, 11:43:09 PM7/17/17
to InMoov
Thank you Acapulco!  This helps a lot!

Cindy Collin

Rick Cavanaugh

Jul 31, 2017, 8:31:24 PM7/31/17
to InMoov
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLN94&P=ML

Towerhobbies has the towerpro ts-80 in stock.  These are IDENTICAL to the HS-805.  The circuit board inside them is even marked with Hitec.

these are much cheaper than the HS 805.

Richard Zimmerman

Aug 1, 2017, 9:14:43 AM8/1/17
to InMoov
Thanks Rick,
A few weeks ago they were listed as discontinued but now I see they have them listed as in stock.
The TS-80 is an 805BB the circuit board even has 805 written on it.

Phil Price

Aug 15, 2017, 6:21:48 PM8/15/17
to InMoov
How did you get the JX Servo PDI 6221MG working? Are you using arduino or pi? As I can't get the jxpdi6222mg working with arduino as they are 330hz?

gael langevin

Aug 17, 2017, 5:53:53 PM8/17/17
to Phil Price, InMoov
Hello Phil,
The JX Servo PDI 6221MG work with Arduino.
Make sure to use an external power source, because the Arduino cannot handle it.
Please see the BOM page here for connections:
http://inmoov.fr/default-hardware-map/

And particularly this connection exemple:
Images intégrées 1

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

How did you get the JX Servo PDI 6221MG working? Are you using arduino or pi? As I can't get the jxpdi6222mg working with arduino as they are 330hz?

Phil Price

gael langevin

Aug 19, 2017, 12:41:36 PM8/19/17
to Phil Price, InMoov
Okay good.
Indeed the whole InMoov can use a lot of Amps.
I use a power supply which can deliver up to 6V 60 Amps for to be safe.

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve Wentworth

Nov 22, 2017, 3:51:58 PM11/22/17
to InMoov
Hi Acapulco Rolf,

After reading your post, I placed an order and I've just received a DM S2000MD servo from AliExpress (only order one to test this out). The motor is a similar size package as the MG995/6 servo'sI've used in my inmoov arm. How are you using this as an anlternative to the HS805BB 1/4 size servo. Do you have an STL design that you are seating this servo into so it fits the slots of the HS805BB from Gael's designs?

I see the servo does have the potentionmeter inside, so I presume this can be taken out to be used on the shoulder mechanism just as the HS805BB one can?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Steve
Message has been deleted

Acapulco Rolf

Nov 25, 2017, 10:28:16 AM11/25/17
to InMoov
Hi Steve

The dimensions of the DMS2000 DM servo are 40mm x 20mm x 38.5mm

If you look on Thingiverse you’ll find adapters to house this servo size for the respective InMoov parts

Here’s one such example from Thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1009660

There’s an scad file shared on that particular page to allow you to resize the holder accordingly, and yes the potentiometer can be taken out of the servo to externalise the positional feedback mechanism

Acapulco Rolf

Nov 25, 2017, 11:01:14 AM11/25/17
to InMoov
@Steve, specifically for the shoulder servos, I used a mounting plate in order to make the smaller servo up to the size of an HS- 805BB

In this instance, I started with this adapter here, then remixed it for my use case

This is the Thingiverse link to the adapted part

gael langevin

Nov 29, 2017, 6:50:24 AM11/29/17
to Acapulco Rolf, InMoov
Hello,
Added the part to the InMoov derivative collection.

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

Damian Trejtowicz

Dec 28, 2017, 6:08:00 PM12/28/17
to InMoov
I`m wondering about these servos PDI-5521MG, they have metal gears and 180 degree, any feedback about this?

gael langevin

Dec 30, 2017, 7:23:06 PM12/30/17
to Damian Trejtowicz, InMoov
I didn't try these PDI-5521MG, but my latest InMoov is using the PDI-HV2060MG and they are doing very well for now.
It's been mounted since August 2017 and I did many demo and even had the robot running during a 15 days event continuously in Eindhoven.
Now that MyRobotLab has a autodisable servo setting, the risk to burn a servo is very reduced.

Gael Langevin
Creator of InMoov
InMoov Robot
@inmoov

Damian Trejtowicz

Dec 31, 2017, 5:31:10 AM12/31/17
to InMoov
I’m asking because it’s almost not possible to get other model till end of January in UK

Dan F

Jan 20, 2018, 11:11:35 AM1/20/18
to InMoov
Rolf,
I bought a few of the PDI-6221MG servo's ad tried to disassemble them. I can get the top and bottom off and remove the gears but can't figure out how to get to the pot. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Acapulco Rolf

Jan 20, 2018, 3:32:36 PM1/20/18
to InMoov
Hi Dan

To remove the potentiometer from the servo follow these steps
  • Remove the four screws retaining the bottom plastic servo shell cover
  • With care, unseat the servo motor from the servo shell
  • There's a small slot at the base of the motor that you can use to ease the motor from the servo shell
  • A screwdriver with a sufficiently small tip will suffice for this or use a convenient instrument of your choice :)
  • Take care not to detach the servo motor from the motor wires.
  • In the event that you do accidentally detach the motor wires, you'll, of course, have an extra job to do to solder the wires back again :)
  • You should now be able to see a small retaining screw securing the base of the servo potentiometer to the inside of the servo shell(see photo below)
  • The screw keeps the potentiometer in place
  • With a suitably small enough screwdriver, reach in and remove the screw
  • Remove the upper plastic servo shell piece
  • Remove the servo gears, making note of the order of removal and gear positions
  • You will see the top of the potentiometer shaft protruding through
  • The potentiometer can now be safely removed by pushing the potentiometer shaft through the servo shell

Acapulco Rolf

Jan 20, 2018, 3:35:45 PM1/20/18
to InMoov
Adding a photo of the opened servo showing the gears for reference

Dan F

Jan 20, 2018, 4:06:43 PM1/20/18
to InMoov
Thanks for the quick reply and the pictures! I'll give it a try.

Jophins Cyriac

May 16, 2018, 4:39:42 AM5/16/18
to InMoov
Hey Acapulco,

I was unable to remove the stopper from the metal gears of jx pdi-6221MG. Could you tell me how you did it?

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 1:16:12 PM UTC+5:30, Acapulco Rolf wrote:

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 21:19:12 UTC+1, Cindy Collin wrote:

Anyone know if there are cheaper alternatives to the HS-805BB?  I tried looking for the TowerPro 9805BB but can't find it anywhere.  Any help would be great!

Jophins Cyriac

May 16, 2018, 4:46:18 AM5/16/18
to InMoov
I can see that the stopper is still placed on the gear. How did you take it off?