Problem with monoisotopic mass calculation in KNIME molecule properties

Oliver Kohlbacher

Dec 15, 2013, 5:49:29 AM12/15/13
to indigo-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

quick question: calculation of monoisotopic mass via the KNIME molecule properties
node leads to incorrect results for compounds containing bromine.
Example: CH3Br yields a monoisotopic mass of 94.94 Da rather than 93.94 Da.
I assume that the calculation does not account for the less common elements.
Is that assumption correct? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
  Oliver

Mikhail Rybalkin

Dec 16, 2013, 7:56:45 AM12/16/13
to indigo-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Oliver,

Monoisotopic mass uses most abundant isotope for each atom independently. Bromine atom has the following isotopic distribution:
79Br - 50.69%, 81Br - 49.31. Monoisotopic mass computation method calculates mass of [79Br] + [12C] + 3x [1H].
Indigo computes 3 masses and for CH3Br they have the following values:
molecularWeight = 94.939
monoisotopicMass = 94.942
mostAbundantMass =  93.942
I took this results from the latest version. We have a page were this masses are explained: http://www.ggasoftware.com/up/indigo-doc/indigo/concepts/mass.html

Could you check that your version of Indigo KNIME nodes returns the same values?

Best regards,
Mikhail

Oliver Kohlbacher

Dec 16, 2013, 8:25:58 AM12/16/13
to indigo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mikhail,

thanks a lot for your reply. Indeed, the KNIME nodes produce the numbers you gave below.
However, the masses seem to be off:
   79Br:  78.918 u
    3x  1H:   3 x 1.008 u
   13 C: 12.000 u
If I sum that up, I get 93.942 rather than 94.942.

Any idea what's going on?

Cheers,
  O.

Mikhail Rybalkin

Dec 16, 2013, 9:55:50 AM12/16/13
to indigo-...@googlegroups.com
It seems like we have a bug here. Thank you for reporting about this problem! We were using "default isotope" that is calculate as the nearest isotope to the natural atomic weight, but instead of it we have to use most abundant isotope. We were using 80 Br instead of 79 Br. I will fix it shortly and will post message about it.

PS: I support you typed wrong number here:
   13 C: 12.000 u
It should be "12 C: 12.000 u", right?

Best,
Mikhail

Oliver Kohlbacher

Dec 17, 2013, 12:11:56 AM12/17/13
to indigo-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mikhail,

thanks a lot for getting that sorted! Indeed, the 13C was a typo ;)

Cheers,
  O.