Croton bonplandianum from Hooghly

surajit koley

May 4, 2012, 1:06:39 PM5/4/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

This is a common wild herb found along roadside hedges. I remember that we used to apply its faintly milky white latex on our minor wounds & bruises while playing in our childhood. Much later i heard / read (?) that like our own saliva plant sap also contains lysozyme that helps fight bacteria and thereby quicken healing of wounds.

Species : Croton bonplandianum Baill.
Habit & Habitat : wild herb, roadside, uncultivated area
Date : 15-03-12, 10.15 a.m.
Place : Hooghly, WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley
DSCN0494.jpg
DSCN0495.jpg
DSCN0496.jpg
DSCN0499.jpg
DSCN0501.jpg

Satish Phadke

May 4, 2012, 1:13:37 PM5/4/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Yes very good capture.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

surajit koley

May 4, 2012, 1:24:01 PM5/4/12
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Thank you Satish Sir for confirming the ID as well as info on lysozymes.

Regards,

surajit

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2012, 11:32:40 PM5/4/12
to surajit koley, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Yes Croton bonplandianum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

surajit koley

May 5, 2012, 12:48:50 PM5/5/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Thank you Gurcharan Sir for confirming. The Bengali name given to this plant is BON-TULASI, but we call it simply BON-GACHH (bon = wild, junglee; GACHH = any herb, shrub or tree)

Regards,

surajit