Kas Week :: DV :: 19 OCT 07 - 1120 :: Solanum lasiocarpum

Dinesh Valke

Oct 1, 2012, 4:43:17 AM10/1/12
to efloraofindia
... Kas skyline
Kas plateau ... about 4000 ft asl
... one of the 39 World Heritage sites in the Western Ghats of India
19 OCT 07
Solanum lasiocarpum Dunal ... (family: Solanaceae)
so-LAN-num -- solace, quietude; referring to narcotic properties of some species ... Dave's Botanary
las-ee-oh-KAR-pum -- woolly fruit ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: Indian nightshade, poison berry, wild Indian brinjal • Assamese: তিতা-ভেকুৰি tita-bhekuri • Gujarati: ઊભી ભોંય રિંગણી ubhi bhoy ringani • Hindi: बरहट्टा barhatta, कोलसा kolsa • Kannada: ಕಿರಿಯ ಗುಳ kiriya gula • Manipuri: leipungkhangga • Marathi: चिंचुरडी chinchurdi, लालकांगोणी lalkangoni • Mizo: maihrem, samtawkte • Nepalese: बिहिँ bihi • Oriya: tutuguno • Sanskrit: बृहती brihati, क्षुद्रभण्टाकी kshudrabhantaaki, प्रचोदिनी prachodini, स्वादुपाका svadupaka, वार्ताकी vaartaaki • Tamil: சிறுவழுதுணை ciru-valutunai, கரிமுள்ளி kari-mulli, நாய்முள்ளி nay-mulli • Telugu: తెల్లములక tellamulaka, వార్తాకి vartaki • Tibetan: bri ha ti

Native to: s China, Indian subcontinent, Indo-China, Malesia; cultivated in tropical Asia

Solanum lasiocarpum Dunal

Lal Kangoni (Marathi: लालकांगोणी) Barhatta (Hindi: बरहट्टा)
Regards.
Dinesh

Prabhu kumar KM

Oct 1, 2012, 4:53:53 AM10/1/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dineshji Good shot............
But it is not S. lasiocarpum
I think it is Solanum violaceum Ortega ssp. violaceum
Please check.
S. lasiocarpum:  Robust shrubs, to 1.5 m high; stems densely spineus prickled and stellate hairy. Leaves to 35 x 35 cm, ovate-orbicular, entire or shallowly lacerate; stellate hairs unequally armed; petioles 5-10 cm long. Flowers in groups of 2-3, axillary, epedunculate; pedicels short; calyx densely stellate hairy; corolla 3-4 cm across, blue, hairy outside; ovary densely hairy. Berry 3-5 cm across, globose, densely covered with spineus bristles.

Solanum violaceum Ortega ssp. violaceum:   Armed undershrubs, up to 1.5 m tall; branches minutely stellate-hairy on young parts, glabrate when mature.  Leaves 5-12 x 4-7 cm, ovate or ovate-oblong, sinuately to deeply lobed, base rounded or unequal, apex subacute, sparsely stellate-hairy above, stellate-woolly beneath, prickly on the nerves; petiole to 2.5 cm long.  Flowers bluish-violet in extra-axillary racemes; peduncle c. 4 cm long; pedicel to 8 mm long.  Calyx cupular; lobes 5, c. 5 mm long, triangular, prickly.  Corolla c. 2 cm across, campanulate.  Stamens 5; anthers c. 5 mm long.  Ovary c. 2 x 2 mm, globose; stigma acute.  Berry 0.8-1.3 cm across, globose; orange yellow when ripe.

--
Prabhu Kumar K M
Scientist

Dinesh Valke

Oct 1, 2012, 5:08:28 AM10/1/12
to Prabhu kumar KM, efloraofindia
Thank you very very very much Prabhu ji for the correction.
I will do the changes in my flickr notes shortly.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2012, 10:08:45 AM10/1/12
to Dinesh Valke, Prabhu kumar KM, efloraofindia
I think Prabhu ji is right, it should be S. violaceum with broad-based prickles and purple-violet flowers
However, as per recent interpretation of S. lasiocarpum (these species have been much confused in the past), S. lasiocarpum has only white (and not purple) flowers and characteristic hairy ovary and berry.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Oct 1, 2012, 11:15:38 AM10/1/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Prabhu kumar KM, efloraofindia
Why not Solanum anguivi?which is reported from KAS
Dr Satish Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2012, 12:12:55 PM10/1/12
to Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, Prabhu kumar KM, efloraofindia
The plant often gone under the name Solanum indicum in Indian Floras has now been understood as several species. One such is S. anguivi which has again white flowers with purple veins on outside and more important there are numerous berries in a bunch.

Please also see the key on our website

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Dinesh Valke

Mar 14, 2023, 10:13:33 PM3/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear all,
ID of the posted plant is suggested as Solanum hovei Dunal at iNaturalist.

More about
SAHNI, K. C.; NAITHANI, H. B.. A Note on the Occurrence of Solanum hovei Dunal in India. Indian Forester, [S.l.], p. 580-583, oct. 1973. ISSN 2321-094X. Available at: <https://www.indianforester.co.in/index.php/indianforester/article/view/27060>.
doi:10.36808/if/1975/v101i10/27060.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Mar 16, 2023, 7:46:29 AM3/16/23
to DineshValke, indian...@googlegroups.com
solanaceaesource gives quite a detailed inf.
Pl. check with this also and confirm.
As per this:
Deb (1979) relegated S. hovei to the synonymy of the widespread and highly variable Solanum violaceum (as S. indicum). Solanum violaceum differs from S. hovei in having recurved cauline prickles, broadly elliptic to ovate leaves, sinuate to more deeply lobed leaf margins, rounded to subcordate leaf bases, and erect fruiting pedicels. In contrast, S. hovei has predominantly straight cauline prickles, rhombic to subelliptic leaves, shallowly triangular-lobed leaf margins, acute to short-attenuate leaf bases, and often recurved fruiting pedicels.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Mar 19, 2023, 11:38:03 AM3/19/23
to DineshValke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Any more feedback, Dinesh ji, based on detailed differences between the two as given?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 19, 2023, 12:39:37 PM3/19/23
to efloraofindia
Hi Garg ji, actually I was not at desk for some time. Now returning home.

As far as the points you have asked me to consider, I am afraid I will be to analyze them.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Mar 21, 2023, 3:13:56 AM3/21/23
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Dinesh ji,
I think you can.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 21, 2023, 3:49:10 AM3/21/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg ji,
I certainly would, if I could.
I have requested plantperson7654 to give his thoughts.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Mar 21, 2023, 10:43:54 PM3/21/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Hi Garg ji,

plantperson7654 has given his thoughts, and I quote him here ...

"
I identified this as S. hovei rather than S. violaceum based on the information in this Phytokeys research article. They include a photo of S. hovei and the following discussion under the section for S. hovei:

"Solanum hovei is a member of a group of species identified in the molecular analyses of Aubriot et al. (2016a) as the ‘S. violaceum group’. It is morphologically similar to the sympatric and widespread S. violaceum but differs from it in having leaves with more sparsely pubescent adaxial surfaces and cuneate (rather than acute or truncate) bases. The pedicels of S. hovei are strongly deflexed in fruit, while those of S. violaceum are spreading. Solanum multiflorum of western India also has strongly deflexed pedicels, but they are shorter, and the leaves are densely pubescent with longer trichomes.

Sen Gupta (1964) suggested S. hovei was a rare plant in the Western Ghats, but the number of recent collections in local herbaria suggest otherwise. It is probable that S. hovei was largely confused with S. violaceum in herbaria (usually identified as S. indicum)."

The leaf shape, type of stem prickles and deflexed fruiting pedicels of this plant indicate S. hovei in my opinion.

There's also this under the section for S. violaceum:
"Solanum violaceum is sympatric with its close relatives S. deflexicarpum of southern China, S. hovei, and S. multiflorum, the latter two endemic to India. All of these species have strongly deflexed pedicels in fruit, while those of S. violaceum are broadly spreading and usually longer."

S. violaceum for comparison, with differently shaped leaf bases and spreading fruiting pedicels. Its stems are either unarmed or armed with (usually) curved prickles.

And as discussed in your link, S. lasiocarpum is a different plant with broader leaves, white flowers, and pubescent fruits

"

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Mar 25, 2023, 2:38:08 AM3/25/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Dinesh ji, for this feedback.
It certainly gives us more clarity.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg