Mystery white-flowering Impatiens from Uttarakhand

Wojciech Adamowski

Oct 5, 2012, 1:50:18 PM10/5/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Indian Flora Lovers,
in last several days I checked Impatiens posts on this forum.
post of Balkar https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topicsearchin/indiantreepix/group:indiantreepix$20AND$20Impatiens/indiantreepix/t_Ug8wrSMDo and Prashant https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topicsearchin/indiantreepix/group:indiantreepix$20AND$20Impatiens$20AND$20devendrae/indiantreepix/T2DHK_IIUh4 looks like the same species, with white flowers, rather short and wide open lower sepal, some yellow markings and red spots inside. Flower seen from mouth is rather high but narrow.
I have no idea, however, which species it is.
Dr. Prashant Pusalkar asked how many Impatiens species are known form Uttarakhand answered that about 30. I was able to track 28 taxa. Eighteen of these are different in important features, like flower color, spur lenght, flower dimensions, etc. I have no access to good enough descriptions of further ten species: I. cothurnoides C. E. C. Fisch., I. duthiei Hook. f., I. glauca Hook. f. & Thomson, I. inayatii Hook. f., I. jaeschkei Hook. f., I. podocarpa Hook. f., I. polysciadia Hook. f., I. reidii Hook. f., I. vexillaria Hook. f. and I. violoides Edgew. ex Hook. f.
At the moment there are at least four possibilities for identity of this mysterious Impatiens: 1) this is one of "data deficient" species; 2) white color form of other species (but which?); 3) new record for Uttarakhand; 4) new, undescribed species.
I think the best idea is to ask Dr. Pusalkar for assistance.
Regards                     Wojciech

jmgarg1

Oct 6, 2012, 12:24:02 AM10/6/12
to Dr. Prashant Pusalkar, Wojciech Adamowski, efloraofindia
Hi, Dr. Pusalkar,
May I request you to assist in the matter pl. ?

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1980 members & 1,33,000 messages on 30/9/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

jmgarg1

Oct 14, 2012, 6:44:37 AM10/14/12
to efloraofindia, kruszc...@yahoo.com, vbhas...@yahoo.co.in, sujan...@yahoo.com, lec...@yahoo.com, singh...@rediffmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, prajn...@gmail.com, mithuc...@gmail.com, shreya....@gmail.com, abesh...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, alokis...@gmail.com, kisha...@rediffmail.com, mach...@gmail.com, tigeru...@gmail.com, pka...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, leopa...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, envsu...@gmail.com, anz...@gmail.com, krkmu...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2012, 2:57:34 PM10/21/12
to Wojciech Adamowski, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Wojciech

My photographs are already on Flowers of India.

I am attaching some more views from same population in Baramulla Kashmir, alt. 1600 m.

Here are my other uploads that may interest you:

In the mean time would it not be good idea to devote 2-3 days exclusively to this genus wherein members can upload all their collections Impatiens, to have them critically examined by you. Or else it may run concurrent with Brassicaceae week early November with separate subject line "Impatiens uploads:...................(name/ID code for unknown sp.) from ...............(place)"

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Wojciech Adamowski <kruszc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Indian Flora Lovers,
I. edgeworthii, coming from Western and Central Himalayas and rather rare in cultivation was found as spontaneous plant in Germany.
Baade H., Gutte P. 2008. Impatiens edgeworthii Hook. f. – ein für Deutschland neues Springkraut. Braunschweiger Geobotanische Arbeiten 9: 55-63. (in German)
However, there are some differences between descriptions in Flora of Pakistan and description given by German authors:
1) Nasir in FoP gives height 25-60 cm, whereas Baade and Gutte upto 180 cm!
2) Hooker f. gives color of flowers as yellow and red, Nasir as yellow streaked red in the throat, whereas Baade and Gutte give much broader spectrum: yellow, yellow-white, whitish and pale violet
3) Nasir gives two forms - one with bigger flowers and another with flowers much smaller
4) Some plants have flowers heavily streaked, some only very weakly (see pictures). Plant seems to be very variable.

Pictures:

If anybody has personal experience :-) with I. edgeworthii, please contact me
                                                                                                                                Wojciech

--

Impatiens-edgeworthii-Baramula-24-6-DSC00415-Kashmir-5.jpg
Impatiens-edgeworthii-Baramula-24-6-DSC00417-Kashmir-4.jpg

Wojciech Adamowski

Oct 21, 2012, 3:40:35 PM10/21/12
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Gurcharan ji,
many thanks for your interest and idea of uploading Impatiens pics.
Please remember that I live and work far away from diversity centers of Impatiens (Poland) and have limited access to Indian floristic and taxonomic literature.
I can try my best, but I know only few species, big part of these only from pictures.
Best regards                  Wojciech Adamowski

Wojciech

Apr 10, 2016, 8:27:15 AM4/10/16
to efloraofindia, lec...@yahoo.com, kruszc...@yahoo.com

I think I found what it is :-).
Several months ago I found information that white-flowered form of I. thomsonii was found in western Himalaya. I can't found source now, but I finally compared pictures of typical I. thomsonii and our mystery white flowered Impatiens.
Shape of lower sepal and spur is very similar, lateral petals too, so only big difference is colour pattern.
What do you think?
Best regards              Wojciech

J.M. Garg

Apr 10, 2016, 9:40:00 AM4/10/16
to Wojciech, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Balkar Singh
Thanks a lot, Wojciech ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).