Fwd: Commelinales and Zingiberales Week: UNID Commelinaceae from KAAS Satara Maharashtra Sept2009

Geeta Rane

Feb 8, 2011, 4:49:27 AM2/8/11
to indiantreepix
Greetings from Mumbai :
Thanks for information & beautiful collage; Your collage reminded me about my UN-ID flower, which I'm sharing here.
Please bear with its little larger size,
 Place: Near School; enroute Kass Plateau, Satara Maharashtra,
Date: 25th September, 2009(morning: 9.15am)
Hope this helps,
Thanks With Regards,
geeta rane

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Mayur Nandikar <mayurn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Very special Commelinaceae morning to all..................

--
geeta rane
Log on to -

Mayur Nandikar

Feb 8, 2011, 4:57:23 AM2/8/11
to Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
Thanks for sharing Geeta ji
with the help of aggregate spathe character I can say this must be

Commelina kurzii Clarke, J. Linn. Soc. Bot. 11: 444. 1874; Hook. f., Fl. Brit. India 6: 373. 1892; Fischer In: Gamble, Fl. Pres. Madras, 1075. 1928; Rolla Rao & Kammathy in JBNHS 59: 61, t. 1 (A & D) 1962;Type:  India. C. longifolia Thw., Enum. Pl. Zeyl. 322. 1864; Rao & Verma, Bull. Bot. Surv. India 1974. Commelina erecta Linn., Sp. Pl. 41, 1753; Morton, In: J. Linn. Soc. Bot. 6: 183, 1967. Lakshminarsimhan in Sharma et al., Fl. Maharashtra (Monocot.) 151, 1996.          C. paludosa Blume var. mathewii (C. B. Clarke) R. S. Rao & Kammathy In: Bull. Bot. Surv. India 3: 168. (1961) 1962.

         Herbs perennial. Stems erect or ascending, diffuse, numerous branched, to 60 cm, glabrous. Leaves sessile; leaf sheath usually ciliate; leaf blade lanceolate, 6--9 × 1.2--2.8 cm, glabrous or ± hirsute on both surfaces. Involucral bracts 2--4, in fascicles at apex of branches and opposite smaller leaves, sessile, funnelform, 2--2.5 cm, glabrous or somewhat hirsute, proximal margins partly connate (2--3 mm free), apex falcate-acuminate. Proximal branch of cincinni often abortive, sometimes with c. 2 cm long peduncle but without flowers, distal branch with peduncle to 1 cm and with several flowers; pedicels twisting. Sepals 3.5--4 mm, membranous, boat shaped. Paired petals pinkish blue (?) to 1 cm, odd petal membranous to 3 mm. Fertile stamens 3; staminodes 3, anthrode cruciform. Capsule subglobose, 3--4 mm, 2-3 locular, sometimes only single locule containing seed and dehiscent; posterior locule indehiscent. Seeds one per locule, brownish-black to grey, smooth with white farinose, a lighter brown concolorous material around the periphery, oblong, c. 4 mm, flat on one surface; hilum linear, curved embryotega lateral.

Flowering and fruiting: October to January.

Ecology: Humid Mountain slopes

Note: It varies widely, with plants erect or diffuse, glabrous or hairy, and capsule (1 or) 2- or 3-locular. The species is characterized by having apically falcate-acuminate involucral bracts only partly connate at the proximal margins, arising opposite the fascicled smaller leaves, and therefore resembling compound heads.Another thing is petal colour, in earlier relevant literature it described as pink, violet, lavender, etc. but species which I collected from few location is with white petals. There is no range in their colour, so it need to study meticulous.

--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

tanay bose

Feb 8, 2011, 9:11:19 AM2/8/11
to Mayur Nandikar, Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
Nice catch of Commelina kurzii from both of you
Thanks for sharing
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose