Rutaceae Week_RVS5_Citrus reticulata?

Vijayasankar

May 9, 2012, 11:41:32 PM5/9/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

Is this Citrus reticulata?
Captured at an orchard in Sirumalai hills, TN.
This had loose jacket and sweet pulp!
Tamil name (I think): 'Kamala orange' கமலா ஆரஞ்சு

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi
citrus reticulata_1 sirumalai.JPG
citrus reticulata_2.JPG
citrus reticulata_3.JPG

jmgarg1

May 16, 2012, 1:09:49 AM5/16/12
to efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@gmail.com, landd...@hotmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, ajinkya gadave, Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1860 members & 1,15,000 messages on 30/4/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6500 species).

citrus reticulata_1 sirumalai.JPG
citrus reticulata_2.JPG
citrus reticulata_3.JPG

OZmic

May 16, 2012, 7:35:07 AM5/16/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Vijayasankar,
From your description and the name it is likely to be Citrus reticulata Blanco 'Kamala'
The name கமலாப்பழம்  is often found but only applied to the species Citrus reticulata Blanco. That's fair, however "Kamala" is a cultivar. One can see a parallel with the Mosambi story.
A cultivar name is transferred to the species, and then other species for all sorts of twisted reasons.
Here is what I have compiled. I leave it up to the experts in the group to cross out the wrong names and / or correct the spelling mistakes.
Citrus reticulata Blanco 'Kamala'

ASSAMESE :  Sumothira.

BENGALI :  কমলা  Komala  (Kamalā), কমলা গাছ  Kamalā gācha,  কমলালেবু  Komalalebu  (Kamala leboo, Kamalālēbu),  কমলালেবু গাছ Kamalālēbu gācha (tree),  কমলালেবুর গাছ  Kamalālēbura gācha (tree),  নাগরঙ্গ Nāgaraṅga  নারঙ্গ Nāraṅga নারাঙ্গা Nārāṅgā নারাঙ্গি Nārāṅgi সান্তারা  Sāntārā  সান্তোলা  Sāntōlā.

ENGLISH :  Kamala orange, Orange.
GUJARATI :   નારંગી   Naarangii  (naarNgii), સંતરા  Santaraa, Santra.
HINDI :   कमला Kamalā, Kamla, Kaula, कौंला  Kaunla,  संतरा  Santara, Santra.
KANNADA :  Kittale.
NEPALESE :  कमला   Kamalaa, सुन्तला   Suntalā.
ORIYA :  Kamala.
MARATHI :  Santre.
SANSKRIT :  कमला  Kamalaa (Kamlaa), Kamalaa niibuu.
TAMIL :  கமலா  Kamalā,   கமலாப்பழம்  Kamalāppaḻam .
TELUGU :  కమలా పండు   Kamala pandu  (Kamalā paṇḍu).
Please let us know also if any of those names are applied to other species or cultivars.
Thanks

promila chaturvedi

May 16, 2012, 8:53:45 AM5/16/12
to jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Mani Nair, G tabish, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, Gurucharan singh, Vijay Botanist, nmk...@gmail.com
Prof singh,
Some of the petiole here in the picture are winged while yours pulvinus petiole?
Promila

Vijayasankar

May 16, 2012, 12:14:20 PM5/16/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mic, for your helpful comments and details.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi