Limnophila diffusa Benth.? Hooghly 13-01-13 sk2

surajit koley

Jan 13, 2013, 2:18:52 AM1/13/13
to efloraofindia
06jan13_DSCN0635.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0638.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0639.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0640.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0641.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 20, 2013, 7:18:21 AM1/20/13
to efloraofindia, ratang...@yahoo.com, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, surajitno...@gmail.com, sukla_...@yahoo.co.in

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2030 members & 1,42,000 messages on 31/12/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).
06jan13_DSCN0635.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0638.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0639.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0640.jpg
06jan13_DSCN0641.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 26, 2013, 2:06:54 AM1/26/13
to efloraofindia, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, surajitno...@gmail.com, sujan...@yahoo.com

Jan 26, 2013, 12:37:40 PM1/26/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, sujan...@yahoo.com
Garg Sir,

First we have to decide if those flowers in this thread can be a Limnophila species. I think it can be. A google search for "limnophila flowers" shows similar looking flowers, an example - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/103353/#b.

If it is a Limnophila sp., it is certainly Limnophila diffusa Benth. as per "Bengal Plants" key and distribution.

GRIN, The Plant List, FoC or FoP may not recognize it, IUCN does !!! So, does the "Bengal Plants" or "Flora of British India".

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Feb 2, 2013, 12:48:42 PM2/2/13
to efloraofindia
Attaching new set of photographs of the same plant, recorded on 27-01-2013 at the same place.

Regards,

surajit

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

May I request you to pl. confirm or otherwise pl.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

First we have to decide if those flowers in this thread can be a Limnophila species. I think it can be. A google search for "limnophila flowers" shows similar looking flowers, an example - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/103353/#b.
If it is a Limnophila sp., it is certainly Limnophila diffusa Benth. as per "Bengal Plants" key and distribution.
GRIN, The Plant List, FoC or FoP may not recognize it, IUCN does !!! So, does the "Bengal Plants" or "Flora of British India".
Thank you,
Regards,
surajit

Apr 21, 2013, 1:08:29 PM4/21/13
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Garg Sir,

This is NOT Limnophila diffusa Benth.

About a fortnight ago i received a mail from Taiwan. A botanist working on Limnophila confirms this. We had a few correspondence regarding various Limnophila species. And i am convinced that this is not L. diffusa, for sepals and leaves are different in L. diffusa. She suggests this can be an acanthaceae species.

Regarding other two species i copy (highlighted in yellow) part of her mails -

"About the first post https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/indiantreepix/zPGSUbtWrvw , it might be Limnophila hirsuta (Heyne ex Benth.) Benth. in Prain's "Bengal Plants". The name now become a synonym of Limnophila chinensis (Osbeck) Merr. Actually, the plant L. chinensis in China has purple flowers, and pale blue in Vietnam. It's my first  time to see pink flowers on L. chinensis."

I also think there are some different thinking about Limnophila between most people from India and me. But I think yours is quite correct. As I see in this discuss.

In my point of view, I would say it's Limnophila aquatica, with densely long hair and bigger flower. Please see the attachment. It's Limnophila heterophyllathat I think which is shortly hirsute and with much smaller flowers."

Please, note that in another subsequent mail she writes -

"About L. aquatica or L. cana, it's also a thorny problem for me. In my point of view, I think they might be same species. Do you think the length of pedicels is stable enough? I thought sometimes they can be pedicellate, sometimes they can be sessile or sub-sessile. Or depend on different part of inflorescence. If you have time, you can observe it nearby. Regretfully, my images mostly come from specimens.

Just like one of my friend from Europe who is desirely willing to come to Taiwan, I wish I could go to south Asia and southeast Asia to botanize around someday.

Best wishes,"

Hope the ID of this plant, in this thread, will come out soon.

Thank you,

Regards,
surajit

surajit koley

Jan 6, 2015, 8:57:37 AM1/6/15
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Garg Sir,

This is possibly Staurogyne glutinosa Kuntze, unresolved name of Ebermaiera glutinosa Wall. of "Bengal Plants". The problem is I have no other reference except my old lit., Dinesh Ji's post of another species and two KEW herb.-
  1. http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000838881
  2. http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000838882
And many many thanks to Sarah S.Y. Tsai for keeping a watch on my Limnophila uploads.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Saroj Kumar Kasaju

Dec 4, 2020, 2:06:21 AM12/4/20
to efloraofindia
rheedea ??
Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Dec 14, 2020, 4:49:32 AM12/14/20
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, surajitkoley
Can not say.
May be as per this and  GBIF- specimen

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Dec 14, 2020, 4:53:31 AM12/14/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajitkoley

Thank you Mr. Garg !

Saroj Kasaju

surajit koley

Mar 14, 2021, 12:15:01 PM3/14/21