Acanthaceae Fortnight :: Barleria strigosa ::Rani Bagh :: RVMAR1

radha veach

Mar 16, 2015, 3:25:14 AM3/16/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I think this is Barleria strigosa. Please validate!

According to BSI Fl of Maharashtra:

Barleria strigosa:  Entire plants less strigosely hairy, inflorescence axillary, occasionally terminal, often glomerate, always secund (means directed towards one side)

Barleria terminalis: Entire plants densely strigosely hairy, inflorescence terminal, occasionally axillary, dense short spikes.

If we look at the illustration in the same book we see the shape of the bracts differ. Those of B. strigosa are broader with ciliate margins, those of B. terminalis are more lanceolate.

Distributions given for B. terminalis are: Along the western ghats. Frequent. Kolhapur, Pune, Raigad, Ratnagiri, Satara, Sindhudurg.  For B. strigosa: In Deccan and to eastwards. Frequent. Chandrapur

In eflora we see several plants correctly identified,  for example:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/indiantreepix/barleria$20strigosa/indiantreepix/TrpFhEMh9-g/J_B_B86CgBoJ  Barleria strigosa

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/indiantreepix/barleria$20terminalis/indiantreepix/Wd9L_JIchuU/9c_3p8imHPcJ  Barleria terminalis

and a few incorrectly identified.

I have a feeling the B. terminalis in FOI may not be correct, but the image doesn't show a full picture of the bracts. If we go only on the flowers then it's very difficult to differentiate.

Looking forward to your comments regarding these 2 species.

regards
Radha
P1200076 Rani Bagh (9) - Copy.JPG
P1200076 Rani Bagh (6) - Copy.JPG
P1200076 Rani Bagh (7).JPG
P1200076 Rani Bagh (8).JPG

Dinesh Valke

Mar 16, 2015, 1:33:35 PM3/16/15
to radha veach, efloraofindia
This are wonderful photos to identify B. strigosa from terminalis.
Thanks Radha very much for sharing these.
Regards.
Dinesh

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 17, 2015, 3:24:40 AM3/17/15
to Dinesh Valke, radha veach, efloraofindia
yes

i have exactly this plant pic from a herb garden curated by Prof D C Pal.
in bangla its called neel jhanti.

usha di
--
Usha di

radha veach

Mar 17, 2015, 3:30:05 AM3/17/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Its leaves and roots are used for coughs and inflammations.
This might explain why it was seen growing in a pot in the nursery at Rani bagh.

Radha