Acanthaceae Fortnight :: Barleria strigosa :: Matheran :: DVMAR25/36

Dinesh Valke

Mar 15, 2015, 1:08:51 PM3/15/15
to efloraofindia

Acanthaceae Fortnight
acanthus, or ruellia family
Barleria strigosa Willd.
at Matheran on November 1, 2012

Nilakurunni (Malayalam: നീലകുറുഞ്ഞി)

Nilamparam (Tamil: நீலாம்பரம்)

Nilambaramu (Telugu: నీలఅంబరము)
Regards.
Dinesh

radha veach

Mar 15, 2015, 11:45:23 PM3/15/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dinesh,

Is this Barleria strigosa or Barleria terminalis?
Until I saw the other species I could never be sure, but now I feel this one that we see all around our area, including at Matheran, is Barleria terminalis.

I'll try and post pics of what may be Barleria strigosa and you can see what you think.
BSI Fl of Mah is very helpful for this.

regards
Radha

Dinesh Valke

Mar 16, 2015, 11:13:39 AM3/16/15
to radha veach, efloraofindia
Thanks very very much Radha for validating this ID. It had taken me lot of time to tally the plant aspects with line drawings and descriptions in Rheedea document - Revision of the Genus Barleria (Acanthaceae) in India. While it was not easy for me to differentiate the two species easily, there is a line describing habitat of B. terminalis which says "Habitat: Along streams in higher altitudes." That made me think of changing the earlier labelled B. terminalis to B. strigosa !! There is just no stream in the anywhere in 100m vicinity of that colony of B. terminalis.

Will revert to B. terminalis in my flickr notes, very soon.

So dear friends, the posted plant is Barleria terminalis Nees and so is in my another sighting in Matheran - DVMAR24/35.

Regards.
Dinesh

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 16, 2015, 11:16:19 PM3/16/15
to Dinesh Valke, radha veach, efloraofindia
Yes
that paper does make it easier though  classification based on just  few pictures and not the dissection can be tricky

usha di
--
Usha di