Euphorbia 020410GS1 from Delhi for ID

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 2, 2010, 8:05:18 AM4/2/10
to efloraofindia
Euphorbia 020410GS1 from Delhi for ID
This Euphorbia species seems to be confusing me. Fruits are totally glabrous like E. clarkeana but leaves oblong-suborbicular, with distinctly cordate base suggesting of E. granulata (which has pubescent plants and capsules). Kindly help in identification.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Euphorbia-Delhi-1.jpg
Euphorbia-Delhi-1a.jpg
Euphorbia-Delhi-2.jpg
Euphorbia-Delhi-3.jpg

Neil Soares

Apr 2, 2010, 9:03:08 AM4/2/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Hi Prof. Singh,
   It looks like Euphorbia parviflora.
                  Regards,
                    Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Apr 2, 2010, 9:15:53 AM4/2/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Hi Prof. Singh,
  Sending you my photographs of Euphorbia parviflora [Gulabi Dudhi] for comparison, though have to admit, your's looks slightly different.
               Regards,
                 Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 4/2/10, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Euphorbia parviflora, Gulabi Dudhi 1.jpg
Euphorbia parviflora, Gulabi Dudhi 2.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 2, 2010, 9:47:45 AM4/2/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Dear Gurcharan ji.
On minute study of your plant photo I come to a conclusion which is very much same as that of the plant photo provided by you. My suggestion is.......

Euphorbia serpens Kunth in Humb., Bonpl. & Kunth, Nov. Gen. Sp. Pl. 2: 52. 1817. Boiss. In DC. Prodr. 15(2): 29.1862.

Synonyms:
  1. Euphorbia bombaiensis sensu Stewart, Ann. Cat. Vasc. Pl. W. Pak. & Kashm. 447. 1972. p.p. non Santapau.
  2. Euphorbia orbiculata var. jawaharii Rajagopal & Panigrahi, Taxon. 17(5): 547. 1968.)
Description: Acompletely glabrous much-branched prostrate annual herb with stems to c. 25 cm long, rooting at the nodes. Petioles 0.5-1 mm long. Leaf-blades suborbicular-ovate, 1-5 x 1-4.5 mm, rounded to emarginated at the apex, obliquely shallowly cordate at the base, entire, pale green. Stipules interpetiolar, fused above and beneath to form a triangular laciniate or fimbriate white scale 0.5 mm long. Cyathia axillary, solitary, in the uppermost axils; glands transversely ovate or oblong, purplish, with narrow, subentire white appendages. Frutis trigonous, keels carinate, 1.2 x 1.5 mm, smooth. Seeds ovoid, quadrangular, 0.8 x 0.5 mm, smooth, pinkish-brown.
Please validate my identification and I hope it will provide you a bit satisfaction . i am attaching a photo from where i studies the comparative morphology. Please see it.

Regards
tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Euphorbia serpens.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 2, 2010, 10:11:34 AM4/2/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Tanay you are on dot, it is indeed E. serpens. I tried Eflora of Pakistan, but somehow missed E. serpens, perhaps I did not notice rooting branches, may be was growing in a dry lawn.
  Thank you so much for identification. It is not for nothing we say: Tanay is a genius.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Apr 2, 2010, 10:32:07 AM4/2/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Dear Gurcharan Ji,
I am happy that I could help tou out with the identification. I am not a genious because I don't know even 5% of the plant name which you know. You could not identify this plant because at that very moment you were inattentive due to some reason if not so then you have never given me the chance I know!!! ha ha ha . I got hold by 2 morphological points interpetiolar stipule and leaf character.
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 2, 2010, 10:44:10 AM4/2/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
God bless you Tanay. I love you for good sense of humour. Keep it up.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Apr 2, 2010, 10:45:49 AM4/2/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Thats the best part to get blessed rather get a tag of genious ......thank you sir
tanay