Acanthaceae Fortnight :: FOR ID :: Suttagati :: DVMAR116/127

Dinesh Valke

Mar 26, 2015, 9:39:21 AM3/26/15
to efloraofindia

Acanthaceae Fortnight
acanthus, or ruellia family
ID please
Dear friends,
This herb found prostrate, growing among dry scrub vegetation on a gentle-sloped hillock, perhaps a climber. Could not locate leaves. The flower about 15 mm across.
at Sutagatti, Karnataka on April 22, 2011

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Regards.
Dinesh

Aarti S. Khale

Mar 26, 2015, 10:20:46 AM3/26/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh Ji,
The flower reminds me of Rhinacanthus nasutus.
Kindly check for it.
I have seen in MNP.
Regards,
Aarti
,

Dinesh Valke

Mar 26, 2015, 10:27:09 AM3/26/15
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
I too have similar thoughts Aarti ji; but during this trip I was with Shrikant ji - and he does not think this plant to be Rhinacanthus nasutus. Hopefully we get some other thoughts; let us wait. Thank you very much.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Mar 29, 2015, 12:01:51 PM3/29/15
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Aarti S. Khale

Some earlier relevant feedback:

The flower reminds me of Rhinacanthus nasutus.
Kindly check for it.
I have seen in MNP.
Regards,
Aarti

I too have similar thoughts Aarti ji; but during this trip I was with Shrikant ji - and he does not think this plant to be Rhinacanthus nasutus. Hopefully we get some other thoughts; let us wait. Thank you very much.

Regards.
Dinesh

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

Apr 2, 2015, 10:08:50 PM4/2/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Aarti S. Khale
The inflorescence is not monochasial as apparently appears in the first pic which may lead to thinking of some novel species. A close look in the highest resolution of the other two pictures reveals the inflo may be a panicle or a thyrse.

Pseuderanthemum species can have same flower form http://www.cvh.org.cn/db/data_photos/data_index.php?id=1&page=316&orderr=SPPING_LATIN2. In fact FoC thinks Pseuderanthemum polyanthum (C. B. Clarke ex Oliver) can be misidentified with Rhinacanthus calcaratus (Wall.)Nees. At least two more Pseuderanthemum distributed in India can have flowers with similar form.

But, here the upper leaves are seemingly sessile and pubescent and significantly smaller than those Pseuderanthemum above.

Rhinacanthus communis Nees of FBI (can't help...) is cultivated as well as wild in Deccan peninsula. In spite of Shrikant Ji's view please check what is the habit of wild form. Because it has several synonyms in FBI, one of which is Justicia scandens Vahl and also other. One African species have upper leaves sessile.
Leaf size, whatever little can be found in your pics, and calyx lobes suggest it can be Rhinacanthus.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Dinesh Valke

Apr 5, 2015, 10:01:12 AM4/5/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Thanks Surajit ji. I have no idea about this plant - my initial thought was it could be Rhinacanthus nasutus. Not sure anymore.
Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Apr 5, 2015, 11:11:21 AM4/5/15
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
I am/was also so much hesitant, Dinesh Ji The inflorescence is very special and there are so many Justicia, Rostellularia etc.

Thank you
Regards

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 14, 2021, 7:48:05 AM3/14/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 14, 2021, 7:49:24 AM3/14/21
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke
Mar 14, 2021, 7:56:58 AM3/14/21
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke
Rhinacanthus nasutus !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Dinesh Valke

Mar 17, 2021, 12:38:19 AM3/17/21
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh
Yes Saroj ji, I am convinced. Thank you very much !!! Revising my flickr notes accordingly.
I had raised this query because the plant was found in a dried up habitat, and the plant had no leaves !!
Regards.
Dinesh

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 28, 2021, 2:37:36 AM3/28/21
to Dinesh Valke, efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh
My pleasure !
Thank you Dinesh Ji !

Saroj Kasaju

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Mar 28, 2021, 12:42:59 PM3/28/21
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh
I too with Saroj Ji,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 03/28/21, 10:12:10 PM

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 28, 2021, 1:26:12 PM3/28/21
to efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh

Thank you Paradesi Ji !

Saroj Kasaju

Dinesh Valke

Mar 28, 2021, 10:38:13 PM3/28/21
to Saroj Kasaju, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh
Thank you very much Paradesi ji, for the ID.
Regards.
Dinesh