is this also Ficus rumphii ? from Hooghly 03-05-12 SK-1

surajit koley

May 3, 2012, 1:58:53 PM5/3/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

Found this very very big tree on roadside. Is this also Ficus rumphii ?

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : tree, very big, roadside
Date : 03-05-12, 9.52 a.m.
Place : Gobra (Hooghly), WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

DSCN2928.jpg
DSCN2930.jpg
DSCN2932.jpg
DSCN2933.jpg
DSCN2940.jpg
DSCN2942.jpg
DSCN2944.jpg
DSCN2946.jpg
DSCN2948.jpg

Tanay Bose

May 3, 2012, 2:13:14 PM5/3/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Hi Surajit Da.
I think this is Ficus rumphii.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research & Teaching Assistant.

surajit koley

May 3, 2012, 2:22:52 PM5/3/12
to Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Thank you Tanay Ji for the ID. Everybody here call this tree as PAKUR in Bengali, whereas the scientific name given for the PAKUR in the book "Plants Group" and also at  https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/indiantreepix/ficus$20infectoria/indiantreepix/lfUcX6mGFK4/84WYKEU1wngJ is Ficus infectoria !

Regards,

surajit

Tanay Bose

May 3, 2012, 2:35:13 PM5/3/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Hi Surajit Ji.
I am very bad in common names hence have no idea about them.
Tanay

surajit koley

May 3, 2012, 2:53:12 PM5/3/12
to Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Oh! My beloved Tanay Ji, what i want to tell you is that these Bengali names of various plants differ regionally. Take the case of Plumeria rubra, we call it GULANCHA here, but one of my friends from North Bengal tells me that they call it KATH-GOLAP.

Regards,

surajit

ushadi Micromini

May 3, 2012, 4:31:42 PM5/3/12
to surajit koley, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Tanay and Surajit:

 I'll add to your confusion:)
Plumeria rubra in  south 24 paraganas are called Kath-champa.... and people will swear that that's what the correct name is!!!!  while folks at KolBotG, esp their gardeners will call it (authoritatively) that its called Garuda-champa because one of their old bosses who wrote a book used to call it that!!! Bojo tthela...

and Gualncha/Gulancha   is Guduchi, or Tinospora cordifolia, there is regular gulancha and then there is padma gulancha the latter has a very knobby surface and both are sold green or fresh by Ayurvedic shops  and street vendors who sell the navagraha mula/roots ... I have seen some well organized shop(s) with  big painted  advertisement tin boards on railway platforms of local trains in some towns in south 24 paraganas...    this padma gulancha comes from deep recesses of the sunderbans they tell me...

well, interesting, ain't it?   cheers
usha di
======
--
Usha di
===========

Tanay Bose

May 3, 2012, 4:36:44 PM5/3/12
to ushadi Micromini, surajit koley, efloraofindia
LONG LIVE THE LATINIZED NAME
Tanay

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 3, 2012, 9:17:03 PM5/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This should be Ficus rumphii and the plant on the link also is Ficus rumphii and not Ficus virens.
I really dream some one some day takes up the task of doing some research on Ficus of India. There are so many species!!!!
Pankaj

surajit koley

May 3, 2012, 10:06:24 PM5/3/12
to ushadi Micromini, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Good morning Usha Di

 I also heard the name GARUDA / GARUR CHAMPA and also know the name GULANCHA-LATA... know that Gulancha-lata is a climber, but didn't know the plant or its scientific name. But PADMA GULANCHA is new to me.

Please forgive me... in a hurry.. meet you this evening...

Thank you very much for the wonderful mail, it makes my morning more charming....

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

May 3, 2012, 10:07:52 PM5/3/12
to Tanay Bose, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Good morning / evening Tanay Ji

Meet you, say, after 9 p.m. (IST).. :)

Regards,

surajit

ushadi Micromini

May 3, 2012, 10:27:30 PM5/3/12
to Tanay Bose, surajit koley, efloraofindia
Tanay: exactly right..

unifies the ideas and the field...

It helps more when the taxonomic keys are well defined for the classification and then further defined for the regional differences and the key then helps even lay people in id properly... like the wild crafter who really bring in the Ayurvedic herbs to towns and manufactureres and wholesale intermediaries...
Usha di
==
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

May 3, 2012, 10:27:38 PM5/3/12
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Pankaj Ji for solving two problems at one go - 1) confirming the ID of this one and 2) the ID confusion over my previous post of another ficus - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/indiantreepix/quiz$20:$20which$20ficus/indiantreepix/guWelt0hA78/Ay0frAIcg-8J

Now, there is no darkness before my eyes....

A great day to you...

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

May 4, 2012, 1:53:28 PM5/4/12
to ushadi Micromini, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

Today i have captured two climbers. Attaching those images. Is it the same Tinospora cordifolia we were talking about this morning?

Regards,

surajit

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:01 AM, ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

1st_climber_DSCN3019.jpg