Hooghly Today : might be Leea aequata L.

surajit koley

Apr 20, 2013, 12:48:38 PM4/20/13
to efloraofindia
Sir,

What appears to be a shrub in rural wilderness may turn out into a tree, if left undisturbed. Similarly, a woody herb may turn out to be a shrub in reality. This is because villagers often cut or prune them in order to 1) collect firewood, 2) create a temporary passage and 3) clear a space to plant other economically viable plants.

This is a 6 ft shrub, common in village scrubs, with scabrous branches; pubescent and scabrous leaves; terminal inflorescence.

Can this species be L aequata L.? If yes, my another post may also be the same species - https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/indiantreepix/czJK6AzcfAg.

Thank you,

Regards,

Leea_sp_P1010889.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010906.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010907.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010890.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010891.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010893.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010898.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010900.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010901.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010902.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010904.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 1, 2013, 12:43:29 PM5/1/13
to efloraofindia, Asim Mitra, Paramjit Channa, Ushadi Micromini, Subhasis Panda, A P DAS, Sujana K Arjunan, surajit koley, PRASANTA, Subir Ghosh

---

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2085 members & 1,53,000 messages on 30/4/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8000 species).
Leea_sp_P1010889.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010906.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010907.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010890.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010891.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010893.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010898.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010900.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010901.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010902.jpg
Leea_sp_P1010904.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 9, 2013, 5:42:42 AM5/9/13
to efloraofindia, Asim Mitra, Paramjit Channa, Ushadi Micromini, Subhasis Panda, A P DAS, Sujana K Arjunan, surajit koley, PRASANTA, Subir Ghosh, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, amit chauhan, meenakshi prajneshu, amit kumar, abesh sanyal, Balkar Singh, Nidhan Singh, Sundaresan Velusamy, mandeep kaur, Manoj Chandran, Umeshkumar Tiwari, Prashant awale, Suniti Datta, D.S Rawat, ashishm...@gmail.com, pandeyh...@gmail.com

No posting of this species in Efi site so far.

May 18, 2013, 10:27:52 PM5/18/13
to efloraofindia
This plant looks like the one in the illustration - http://www.plantillustrations.org/illustration.php?id_illustration=161897
But, that can not be L. macrophylla.
Descriptions of L. robusta and L. hirta can be found in Flora Indica (vol.1, p655 to 657) -
  1. http://ia600603.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?id=mobot31753000967866&itemPath=%2F5%2Fitems%2Fmobot31753000967866&server=ia600603.us.archive.org&page=n658_w282
  2. http://ia600603.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?id=mobot31753000967866&itemPath=%2F5%2Fitems%2Fmobot31753000967866&server=ia600603.us.archive.org&page=n659_w282
  3. http://ia600603.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?id=mobot31753000967866&itemPath=%2F5%2Fitems%2Fmobot31753000967866&server=ia600603.us.archive.org&page=n660_w282

The problem is i don't understand botany.

One offers sermons in a mail - ".... Descriptions of species among genus are appreciated only when all the species are physically seen together - else all the descriptions (in most cases to my experiences) are worded in such a manner that a normal person attempting to read them for the first time would think of giving up out of frustration..... "

Another writes, "...collectively we will be able to find some clear findings and additions to what is given in texts esp from individual personal observations. What is written in texts was the personal observation only before it went into books."

I am looking forward to collective assistance from experienced members.

Regards,
surajit