Firmiana colorata

Prashant Awale

May 20, 2012, 12:17:06 PM5/20/12
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

I found this pics of   Firmiana colorata    bit interesting. Kindly have a look.

Family:
Sterculiaceae

Location: Veer Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai.

Regards
Prashant
Firmiana colorata_9856.jpg
Firmiana colorata_9857.jpg
Firmiana colorata_9859.jpg

Rajesh Sachdev

May 20, 2012, 12:35:18 PM5/20/12
to efloraindia
Prashantji,
There is mention of Follicles ( a dry seed vessel, or pod, consisting of a single carpel, splitting at maturity only along the front part of thesuture) which are handsome, consisting of membrane of 7.6 cms greenish pink, as per Forest Trees of Western Ghat.

Does my formation of reply makes sense?

Vijayasankar

May 20, 2012, 12:35:28 PM5/20/12
to Prashant Awale, indiantreepix
Nice pictures Prashant ji!

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

ushadi Micromini

May 20, 2012, 8:27:54 PM5/20/12
to Vijayasankar, Prashant Awale, indiantreepix
Very interesting, Prashant
the internet shows a leaf like structure withteo seeds... are these green things in your pictures fruitpods...
I wonder if you will be able to photograph the ripe fruits and seed pods of this very interesting tree...
also on the net I saw a young plant of this species witha caudex..wonder what does a mature tree's trunk would look like?

do you have pictures of the tree as a whole and the trunk?
Thanks Usha di
==
--
Usha di
===========

Chitra Shanker

May 20, 2012, 9:31:01 PM5/20/12
to indiantreepix, Vijayasankar, Prashant Awale
Wow. wonderful capture.Yeah like Ushadi said the internet shows a leaf like pods with seed attached though the pods here are very very interesting too
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shubhada_nikharge/3437632547/
Check this out. I am going crazy seeing all your wonderful photos
chitra

--
Dr. Chitra Shanker
Sr. Scientist (Entomology)

Balkar Singh

May 20, 2012, 10:36:13 PM5/20/12
to Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix, Vijayasankar, Prashant Awale
Excellent Shots Prashant Ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Prashant Awale

May 21, 2012, 9:55:49 AM5/21/12
to Balkar Singh, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix, Vijayasankar
Thanks a lot Balkar ji, Chitra ji, Usha di, Vijayasankar ji & Rajesh ji. Thanks Rajesh ji for sharing info from the book "Forest Trees of Western Ghat".

I am sharing one photograph showing the trunk in the background.

Regards
Prashant
IMG_9858.jpg

ushadi Micromini

May 21, 2012, 10:53:18 AM5/21/12
to Vijayasankar, Prashant Awale, indiantreepix
thanks for the trunk bark pic
usha di
--
Usha di

Mahadeswara

May 24, 2012, 9:35:33 AM5/24/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Awesome photographs.     Your reporting is also nice as you provide info on  family, habit  etc.,