Rutaceae Week :: Glycosmis pentaphylla at Goa and Lonavala

Dinesh Valke

May 11, 2012, 5:39:01 AM5/11/12
to efloraofindia
Glycosmis pentaphylla (Retz.) DC.

  • gly-KOS-mis -- sweet-smelling
    pen-tuh-FIL-uh -- from the Greek penta (five) and phyllum (leaf)
    ... Dave's Botanary

Glycosmis pentaphylla
Feb 18, 2012 ... Mollem National Park, Goa

commonly known as: gin berry, orangeberry, rum berry • Bengali: আশ শ্যাওড়া ash sheora, বন জামির ban jamir • Hindi: बन निम्बू ban nimbu • Marathi: किरमिरा kirmira • Oriya: ଅଣାଚାରା anachara, ଚାଉଳଧୁଆ chauladhua • Tamil: காட்டுக்கொஞ்சி kattu-k-konci, கொஞ்சி konci • Telugu: గొంజి gonji

Native to: Indomalaysia

more views:
  • Feb 18, 2012 ... Mollem National Park, Goa
    Glycosmis pentaphylla Glycosmis pentaphylla
  • Oct 15, 2010 ... near Lion's Point, Lonavala, Maharashtra
    Glycosmis pentaphylla Glycosmis pentaphylla Glycosmis pentaphylla

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2012, 5:44:33 AM5/11/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks Dinesh ji, another new for me.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

May 11, 2012, 10:02:17 AM5/11/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing Dinesh ji
New to me.
Characters to look for in Genus Glycosmis
...Unarmed
...Leaflets 3-5. Base equal.
...Anthers glandular
Diff. between the two species observed in Mah.
1   Leaflets with subdentate margin; ovary ovoid,sessile; fruits glandular mammilate.....G.pentaphylla
1   Leaflets with entire margin; ovary fusiform,stalked; fruits glandular pitted.....G.mauritiana.
Please check for the leaf character carefully.

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

ushadi Micromini

May 12, 2012, 10:51:39 AM5/12/12
to Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Is supposed to be found on edges of jungles in Bengal...
have not seen it in fallow lands in urban areas
new to me'
Usha di
========
--
Usha di
===========

Dinesh Valke

May 14, 2012, 9:50:10 AM5/14/12
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Many thanks Satish ji, ... I must be wrong in my ID as per your keys.
Regards.
Dinesh

Mahadeswara

May 16, 2012, 7:19:29 AM5/16/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh ji, Nice close up photographs.  Thanks for sharing.   These plants are very common in GNP
( Guindy National Park), Chennai.

Dinesh Valke

May 16, 2012, 11:31:57 AM5/16/12
to Mahadeswara, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Mahadeswara ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

jmgarg1

May 25, 2012, 3:29:12 AM5/25/12
to efloraofindia

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Characters to look for in Genus Glycosmis

...Unarmed
...Leaflets 3-5. Base equal.
...Anthers glandular
Diff. between the two species observed in Mah.
1   Leaflets with subdentate margin; ovary ovoid,sessile; fruits glandular mammilate.....G.pentaphylla
1    Leaflets with entire margin; ovary fusiform,stalked; fruits glandular pitted.....G.mauritiana.

Please check for the leaf character carefully.”

"Many thanks Satish ji, ... I must be wrong in my ID as per your keys." from Dinesh ji.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

jmgarg1

Jun 3, 2012, 1:13:40 AM6/3/12
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, nitesh...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, rautn...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, abhi_...@hotmail.com, drhmp...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, aarti...@gmail.com, formp...@gmail.com, sachi...@gmail.com, aditty...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg
Dear Satish Sir & Dear Dinesh Sir,

Attaching pics of what i know as Glycosmis pentaphylla. I can't say about the authenticity of the ID but this plant is very common here and it is known as toothbrush-plant in English and AASH-SHAORA (আশ শ্যাওড়া) in Bengali. I am not adding any taxonomist name because -
I took these pics about 2 hours ago, except the last one (yesterday).

Thank you & Regards,

surajit
DSCN4976.jpg
DSCN4994.jpg
DSCN5041.jpg
DSCN4979.jpg
DSCN4983.jpg
DSCN4984.jpg
DSCN4986.jpg
DSCN4987.jpg
DSCN4988.jpg
DSCN4990.jpg
DSCN4992.jpg

surajit koley

Jun 3, 2012, 1:18:59 AM6/3/12
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, nitesh...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, rautn...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, abhi_...@hotmail.com, drhmp...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, aarti...@gmail.com, formp...@gmail.com, sachi...@gmail.com, aditty...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg
02_June_2012 DSCN4944.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jun 3, 2012, 2:19:16 AM6/3/12
to surajit koley, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Many thanks Surajit ji for validating posted plant.

Dear friends,
Would wait for more validating comments to conclude ID(s) of my two posted plants at Goa and Lonavala.
There are chances of me having mixed two plants in this post - my apologies.

Satish ji has provided keys to Glycosmis (pentaphylla and mauritiana).
Though they clarify the differences, it does not make me (with my own limitations), able to differentiate the two close species.

In context of these two close species - subdentate margin -- the prefix sub is tricky. I am not sure whether subdentate is easily differentiated from dentate and entire. A slight variation in either dentate OR entire can give allusion of subdentate.

Key related to differences:
1) in ovary -- I will not be able to understand; it is beyond my scope of knowledge.
2) in fruits -- mammilate versus pitted -- will understand the difference when I see fruits of the two species together.

Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Jun 3, 2012, 9:21:16 AM6/3/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Good evening Dinesh Ji.

Even a few months ago i would have easily said that it is G. pentaphylla. But the more i go exploring the plants the more i get confused.

Regards,

surajit

Muthu Karthick

Aug 31, 2012, 6:51:57 AM8/31/12
to surajit koley, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dineshji,
I hope the following table helps you. The key is from An Excursion Flora of Central Tamilnadu, India by K.M.Matthew (1991).

Glycosmis mauritiana

Glycosmis pentaphylla

Leaflet: 10 x 4cm

25 x 7 cm