grass ID (3) from Hooghly 3/8/12 SK3

surajit koley

Aug 3, 2012, 2:33:32 PM8/3/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

This is yet another grass, recorded at the same place where i found Echinochloa crus-galli.

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : about 2.5 feet tall, wasteplace
Date : 19/7/12 & 20/7/12
Place : Gobra (Hooghly)

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley
grass19jul12_DD_DSCN7425.jpg
grass19jul12_DD_DSCN7429.jpg
grass19jul12_DD_DSCN7431.jpg
grass19jul12_DD_DSCN7437.jpg
grass19jul12_DD_DSCN7439.jpg
set2_20jul12_DSCN7482.jpg
set2_20jul12_DSCN7483.jpg
set2_20jul12_DSCN7484.jpg
set2_20jul12_DSCN7486.jpg

manoj chandran

Aug 4, 2012, 12:20:19 AM8/4/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hai !
This is Panicum paludosum Roxb., a grass usually found in sub aquatic habitats like fallow rice fields, submerged and waterlogged areas, marshy or muddy pools, etc. It can be easily identified at a distance because of the stiff and angular arrangement of the branches of the panicle. The lowest branches are almost horizontal when the inflorescene is completely mature. The whole panicle looks like a pyramid. The spikelets are also longer and slender than many of the other Panicums. While collecting grasses, also try to see the nature of the root system and the presence/ absence of rhizomes, stolons, etc. or other characters like sponginess of stems, stolons or basal leaf sheaths, especially in semi aquatic habitat.
Regards...
Manoj Chandran

surajit koley

Aug 4, 2012, 11:42:11 AM8/4/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

I will record pictures of roots, rhizomes or stolons, if available, in my future finds.

Thank you very much for the ID and keys of this species. It appears to me that this grass is something special, it looks somewhat different to other grasses and i have found it only in one place, till now.

Regards,

surajit