Hooghly 3 weeks ago : might be Loranthus ampullaceus Roxb.

surajit koley

May 29, 2013, 1:21:01 AM5/29/13
to efloraofindia
P1020774.jpg
P1020780.jpg
P1020781.jpg
P1020784.jpg
P1020786.jpg
P1020787.jpg

surajit koley

May 29, 2013, 1:28:59 AM5/29/13
to efloraofindia
This is the bird, possibly Tickell's flowerpecker, which loves the fruits of this plant. But, in these pictures the bird collected fruit of another Loranthus.

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:

P1000640.jpg
P1000642.jpg
P1000643.jpg

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

May 29, 2013, 4:57:18 AM5/29/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This should be Macrosolen cochinchinensis of Loranthaceae, but I am uncertain of its distribution in Hooghly. Regards,

surajitkoley

May 29, 2013, 11:55:12 AM5/29/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, shrikant.i...@gmail.com
Sir,

This semi-parasite grows on mango trees, not rare. Among the several Loranthus listed the "Bengal Plants" two are 1) Loranthus globosus Roxb. and 2) Loranthus ampullaceus Roxb.

While The Plant Lists recognizes Loranthus ampullaceus Roxb. as Macrosolen cochinchinensis (Lour.) Tiegh., it doesn't recognize Loranthus globosus Roxb.

On the other hand, according to Flora of Nepal Loranthus globosus Roxb. is a synonym of Macrosolen cochinchinensis (Lour.) Tiegh.

Flora Indica (vol.1; p550 & 552) informs -
L. globosus grows common on trees throughout Bengal, flowers are small, sessile, greenish-orange colour
L. ampullaceus found on trees the forests of Silhet, but seems to prefer the mango tree, flowers pretty large, greenish yellow.

Thank you,

Regards,
surajit

surajit koley

Jun 6, 2013, 12:44:47 PM6/6/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, shrikant.i...@gmail.com
Garg Sir,

Recorded more photographs on 3/6/13.

Bengal Plants keys in -
(l) fruit ellipsoid; corolla always six cleft ------- ampullaceus
(ii) fruit globose; corolla usually 6, sometimes 5 cleft ------ globosus

Flora Indica and Flora of British India entries conflict -

L. globosus
(a) flowers sessile (in L. ampullaceus flower is short pedicelled), small, greenish-orange, berries round, oval, size of a pea ----- Flora Indica
(b) flowers pedicelled, 1/3 rd to 1/2 in. (in L. ampullaceus pedicel is 0 to 1/6th inch.) ----- Flora of British India

However, Flora of British India also records, "I very much doubt this being anything but a form of L. ampullaceus..... (more in FBI, vol5, p220)"

So, either way it is Macrosolen cochinchinensis (Lour.) Tiegh. !

Bengali name for L. globosus Roxb. = CHHOTO MANDAA = ছোট-মন্দা

Thank you

Regards,
surajit

P1040115.jpg
P1040116ori.jpg
P1040122.jpg
P1040122ori.jpg
P1040123.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Jun 14, 2013, 12:46:00 AM6/14/13
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, shrikant.i...@gmail.com
Surajit:
very nice and complete. next time i am in a mango orchard I will know wht I am looking at

one question
if this is chhoto-mand, what is bodo-manda? any idea?

thanks
usha di
=

Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Jun 14, 2013, 12:54:51 PM6/14/13
to Ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, shrikant.i...@gmail.com

Ushadi Micromini

Jun 15, 2013, 12:19:03 AM6/15/13
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, shrikant.i...@gmail.com
Thanks, Surajit.
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Jul 27, 2015, 1:28:13 AM7/27/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
Macrosolen globosus (Roxb.) Tiegh. as per another thread.

Jul 27, 2015, 2:24:53 PM7/27/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg Sir.

Thank you