Vigna luteola (Jacq.) Benth.SN july 16

Santhan P

Jul 16, 2014, 4:09:59 AM7/16/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Vigna luteola (Jacq.) Benth, prostrate herb run wild near Mangalore and Udupi, Karnataka, Is it introduced as a ground cover?
vigna vexillata.JPG
vigna vexillata1.JPG

Gurumurthi Hegde

Jul 16, 2014, 5:49:33 AM7/16/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Santhan ji,
Is there any specific  character that you assigned this taxon to  Vigna luteola ?
Can't it be Vigna radiata  (or any of its varieties )?

And its can't be either V. vexillata (as you've named the pics),  since V. vexillata has pink petals.

J.M. Garg

Jul 25, 2014, 7:41:23 AM7/25/14
to efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Gurumurthi Hegde

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Santhan ji,
Is there any specific  character that you assigned this taxon to Vigna luteola ?
Can't it be Vigna radiata  (or any of its varieties )?
And its can't be either V. vexillata (as you've named the pics),  since V. vexillata has pink petals.   - from Gurumurthi ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2380 members & 1,93,000 messages on 30/6/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

vigna vexillata.JPG
vigna vexillata1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jul 26, 2014, 3:04:48 AM7/26/14
to efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Gurumurthi Hegde
A reply from an expert:
"The specimen attached herewith seems to be Vigna silvestris. Need photo of mature pod for
confirmation. This form is found in the Karnataka. It is highly variable species.
With Warm Regards
Yours Sincerely

Mr. Makarand Mohanrao Aitawade
Ph.D. Student
Angiosperm Taxonomy Lab.
Departmnet of Botany,
Shivaji University,
Kolhapur (MS India)
Mo: 09890026113"

Thanks, Aitawade ji.

J.M. Garg

Jul 26, 2014, 5:10:01 AM7/26/14
to efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Gurumurthi Hegde

 Still I believe it to be Vigna luteola (Jacq.) Benth, I will refer BSI Herbarium and confirm, it is reported in India, it is an introduced green cover/fodder
Regards
Santhan P

J.M. Garg

Aug 2, 2014, 3:31:49 AM8/2/14
to efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Gurumurthi Hegde

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Is there any specific character that you assigned this taxon to Vigna luteola ?
Can't it be Vigna radiata (or any of its varieties )?
And its can't be either V. vexillata (as you've named the pics), since V. vexillata has pink petals.     - from Gurumurthy ji.

The specimen attached herewith seems to be Vigna silvestris. Need photo of mature pod for
confirmation. This form is found in the Karnataka. It is highly variable species.

With Warm Regards
Yours Sincerely
Mr. Makarand Mohanrao Aitawade

Still I believe it to be Vigna luteola (Jacq.) Benth, I will refer BSI Herbarium and confirm, it is reported in India, it is an introduced green cover/fodder

Regards
Santhan P

Aug 3, 2014, 3:18:22 AM8/3/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Gurumurthi Hegde
Vigna mungo and allied -

I think maybe possible.

Vigna vexillata (L.) A.Rich is synonym of Vigna hirta Hook., has yellow-green flowers (see also FoP and FoC).

So, I think flower colour is not decisive factor and it can be V. vexillata (L.) A. Rich as well or likely!!!

Thank you

Regards