ANJAN57 Hygrophila sp. for identification

Anurag Sharma

Jan 28, 2015, 12:59:27 PM1/28/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Family: Acanthaceae
Date: 25th December 2014
Place: Agumbe, Karnataka
Habit: Herb

DSC_0405.JPG
DSC_0406.JPG
DSC_0408.JPG
DSC_0405_2.JPG
DSC_04061.jpg

Anurag Sharma

Jan 28, 2015, 1:00:31 PM1/28/15
to Dinesh Valke, surajit koley, indiantreepix

Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year
St. Josephs College
Bangalore
DSC_0405.JPG
DSC_0406.JPG
DSC_0408.JPG
DSC_0405_2.JPG
DSC_04061.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 28, 2015, 1:06:20 PM1/28/15
to Anurag Sharma, surajit koley, indiantreepix
Thanks Anurag for this post.
Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Jan 28, 2015, 5:56:15 PM1/28/15
to Dinesh Valke, Anurag Sharma, surajit koley, indiantreepix
Nice pictures, Anurag!
The number of stamens here (4?) makes me think that this is not Hygrophila polysperma (2 stamens) that I suggested earlier in Dinesh ji's post.
I look forward to know its ID.

Vijay
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, MS, USA

Dinesh Valke

Jan 29, 2015, 12:38:26 AM1/29/15
to Vijayasankar, Anurag Sharma, surajit koley, indiantreepix
Many thanks Vijayasankar ji for this clarification.
Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Jan 29, 2015, 9:54:57 AM1/29/15
to Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, Anurag Sharma, indiantreepix
Anurag Ji, Dinesh Ji, Vijayasankar Ji,

The flower form doesn't look like that of other Hygrophila we have seen so far. Here corolla is not markedly 2 lipped. Corolla tube is rather cylindric, marked with stripes. To me it looks more like Ebermaiera species than anything else. Bracts and bracteoles also conform.

I think this maybe Ebermaiera glauca Nees. Please check the probability. Please also note anthers in the illustration and the submitted picture (DSC_04061).

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Anurag Sharma

Feb 3, 2015, 11:36:57 AM2/3/15
to surajit koley, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
I agree with you sir.

While going through my photos from the same trip, I found another set of photos from another place (Hebri) we had been to.
I am attaching close ups of that set here. They show the characters much better than in the original uploads.

Please also see http://florakarnataka.ces.iisc.ernet.in/hjcb2/img/pdf/Staurogyne%20glauca/page_348.pdf.jpg from the Flora of Udupi. Hebri, the place where this one was clicked lies in the Udupi district and hence the distribution also matches.

Thank you.
DSC_0402.JPG
DSC_0403.JPG
DSC_0405.JPG
DSC_0406.JPG
DSC_0407.JPG
DSC_0408.JPG
DSC_0410.JPG
DSC_0412.JPG
DSC_04121.jpg

surajit koley

Feb 3, 2015, 12:13:03 PM2/3/15
to Anurag Sharma, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thank you very much Anurag Ji, I had some hesitations regarding the loops of lateral veins at margin, but I think your picture DSC_0406 satisfies Wight illustration.

Please check my species which I think is Ebermaiera glutinosa Wall., I have two sets of pictures and this species grows on the margin of paddy field -
surajit

Anurag Sharma

Feb 11, 2015, 10:33:08 AM2/11/15
to surajit koley, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
As far as I can find, there are only two species of Staurogyne/Ebermaiera found in Karnataka. Gamble too lists two species in the flora of Madras Presidency. Out of the two species that fall under them, S. zeylanica can be ruled out (http://florakarnataka.ces.iisc.ernet.in/hjcb2/herbsheet.php?id=48&cat=1) on the basis of lack of viscid structures which are very evident in the photos clicked by me and Dinesh sir which leaves S. glauca (http://florakarnataka.ces.iisc.ernet.in/hjcb2/img/pdf/Staurogyne%20glauca/page_348.pdf.jpg). Both names are unresolved according to The Plant List.

At the very least, I think we can leave it at Staurogyne sp./Ebermaiera sp.
Thank you very much for your efforts sir. In this process, I have learnt about a few more species of plants!

surajit koley

Feb 11, 2015, 11:38:42 AM2/11/15
to Anurag Sharma, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Anurag Ji,

I have doubt over the pictures in the link you have provided. A couple of pics look more like Lepidagathis to me.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Anurag Sharma

Apr 20, 2015, 1:15:45 PM4/20/15
to surajit koley, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thank you sir. Yes, there do seem to be certain mistakes in the live specimen photographs on the portal.

surajit koley

Apr 20, 2015, 1:25:57 PM4/20/15
to Anurag Sharma, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Yes Anurag Ji, I think so.

Thank you
Regards
surajit