KAS Week:: PKA31:: - Flemingia nilgiriensis / gracilis

Prashant Awale

Oct 9, 2012, 12:56:25 PM10/9/12
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Would like to know the ID for this herb. Is it Flemingia nilgiriensis or F.gracilis??

Regards
Prashant

IMG_2834.jpg
IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2836.jpg
IMG_2831.jpg

Adittya Dharap

Oct 9, 2012, 10:20:51 PM10/9/12
to indiantreepix

Dear Prashant,

following is the key character

F. nilgiriensis........ roots are tuberous
F. gracilis..... roots are not tuberous

best regards

Adittya

Satish Phadke

Oct 11, 2012, 10:25:30 AM10/11/12
to Adittya Dharap, indiantreepix
We have discussed this earlier too. It is not advisable to dig out the plants as it is nearly threatened species. One more character is Leaf which is nigropunctate in F. gracilis. I don't know how much importance it has!
Most botanists say that the species occurring on Kas plateau is Flemingia nilgheriensis
Dr Satish Phadke

Adittya Dharap

Oct 11, 2012, 10:58:21 AM10/11/12
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Satish ji

Agreed, and am sure none of us (including me) have checked the root type as it demands uprooting the whole plant! But if the plant on Kas is F.nilgiriensis, the negro punctate cannot be a distinguishing character as the leaves of the plant at Kas ARE punctate. Please see the image of punctate leaves posted by me in my F.nilgiriensis post.

best regards

Adittya