051011GK Cuscuta reflexa

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 5, 2011, 10:01:55 AM10/5/11
to indiantreepix
Leafless parasitic plant Cuscuta reflexa Roxb. of Convolvulaceae family.
These pictures had taken from Kalpeta, waynad, Kerala on 04-10-11.

Please read @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuscuta to know more details about this leafless parasitic plant.

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Balkar Singh

Oct 26, 2011, 6:35:05 AM10/26/11
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
Giby Ji i think this is Cuscuta chinensis. This is now also found in North India, preferably in Nurseries or near by areas. This plant has 2 styles
pls see
Thanks
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Smilax004

Oct 26, 2011, 7:02:51 AM10/26/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya
I am very sorry for a wrong id of this plant. Balkar ji's post (http://
groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/
6c77cfd95d659fe1/5991c6185fc01d72?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=cuscuta+reflexa
+balkar#5991c6185fc01d72) provoked me to re look at my post and I had
gone through a thorough literature survey.

Now, I feel that this is Cuscuta campestris Yunck on the ground
that .....the corolla lobes broadly triangular, apex acute or obtuse,
often reflexed...(key as in Flora of China)
Thanks Balkar ji to guide me to the key in FOC.

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=108730

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

On Oct 5, 7:01 pm, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Leafless parasitic plant *Cuscuta reflexa *Roxb. of Convolvulaceae family.
> These pictures had taken from Kalpeta, waynad, Kerala on 04-10-11.
>
> Please read @http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuscutato know more details
> about this leafless parasitic plant.
>
> --
> GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> Royal Enclave,
> Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> Bangalore- 560064
> India
> Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby
>
>  cuscuta habit_1.jpg
> 202KViewDownload
>
>  cuscuta habit.jpg
> 168KViewDownload
>
>  cuscuta flower.jpg
> 136KViewDownload
>
>  cuscuta flower_side.jpg
> 127KViewDownload
>
>  cuscuta fruit.jpg
> 160KViewDownload

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 26, 2011, 7:10:38 AM10/26/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya

Balkar Singh

Oct 26, 2011, 7:22:24 AM10/26/11
to Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Then i also have to check my pics idfied as C chinensis
thanks Giby Ji

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 26, 2011, 7:32:54 AM10/26/11
to Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
From Flora of China "Capsule entirely enclosed by withered corolla
This was the key feature why I ruled out C. chinensis.
If you see the plant again, please try get pictures of fruits.

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 26, 2011, 7:44:02 AM10/26/11
to Balkar Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Balkar ji,

On closer look at the close up photographs posted, in reply to Gurcharan ji's concern, I think your plant is different from what I have uploaded.
I think the one you posted is C. chinensis only. It seems that the the withered corolla is completely enclosing the capsule.

Regards,
Giby

Balkar Singh

Oct 26, 2011, 7:50:00 AM10/26/11