Sida mysorensis

Vijayasankar

Oct 2, 2011, 1:36:41 AM10/2/11
to indiatreepix
Dear all,

Sida mysorensis
(= S. glutinosa Roxb, non Cav.) from Bangalore (images 1 & 2) and Tiruvannamalai (image # 3).
It differs from S. cordata by its erect habit with woody branches and glandular hairs. Number of flowers vary from 1-5 per axil.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Sida mysorensis (1).jpg
Sida mysorensis (2).jpg
Sida mysorensis (3).jpg

Madhuri Raut

Oct 2, 2011, 2:33:28 AM10/2/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
The 3rd pic is very beautiful and informative about the characteristics.Thanks for sharing
Regards
Bhagyashri

Dinesh Valke

Oct 2, 2011, 6:55:39 AM10/2/11
to Madhuri Raut, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Many thanks Vijayasankar ji. Now that you have shown this plant, it become clear to me that the one at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/xUcJzKelIZE/discussion posted by me during Malvaceae week is surely not S. mysorensis (which you pointed out - on basis of branched inflorescence) ... Not aware of varieties OR sub-species of S. cordata OR some other similar species of Sida, which may have this feature of branched inflorescence.

Many many thanks once again Vijayasankar ji for showing Sida mysorensis.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Oct 2, 2011, 1:08:21 PM10/2/11
to Dinesh Valke, Madhuri Raut, indiatreepix
Thanks Bhagyashri ji and Dinesh ji.

I agree with you Dinesh ji, our plants look different from each other. Thanks for bringing this discussion again, and sorry for the confusion. On closer look, your plant has flowers also on "leafy, racemelike, axillary shoots" (http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200013758), which I mistook for a branched inflorescence. So it is perhaps Sida cordata as earlier identified by you.  My plant seems to be a form of S. mysorensis with solitary flowers. I have seen also the other form with 'branched' inflorescence, but both the plants have glandular hairs. Please do the needful, and let us hear from others, too.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi