Leucas cephalotes (Roth) Spreng. from Jim Corbett..Do we already have it in our database

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 16, 2013, 9:22:17 AM10/16/13
to efloraofindia
After photographing this plant from fields outside Jim corbett and identifying it as Leucas cephalotes (Roth) Spreng., I noticed that the species although very distinctive is not represented on Flowers of India. Next I checked our database and realised that though several uploads have been suggested as L. cephalotes, they mostly turned out to be some other species.
   The species is very distinct from other species that ir has single terminal compact head-like verticillaster with numerous closely overlapping bracts which concoel most of the calyx, and only one or two flowers may be seen coming out at a time, one or two floral leaves emerging from top of the head. The leaves are ovate to lanceolate in shape. Plant is up to 1 m tall with hispid stems.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
Leucas-cephalotes-Jim Corbett-IMG_9438-Jim Corbett-1.jpg
Leucas-cephalotes-Jim Corbett-IMG_9434-Jim Corbett-2.jpg

Nidhan Singh

Oct 16, 2013, 10:21:58 AM10/16/13
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix

Thanks Sir for this upload,  I thought this is a common plant, strange to know that this is not represented on the forum. ...I will share my pics of the same from Panipat and Morni Hills. ....anyway,  thanks a lot for your upload from the latest tour....hope to see many more......

J.M. Garg

Nov 1, 2013, 1:41:24 AM11/1/13
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, sunoj kumar p, Balkar Singh, Nidhan Singh, satish pardeshi, Sibdas Ghosh
Hi, Singh ji,
A few uploads earlier identified as Leucas cephalotes:
Leucas (from Sibdas ji)
Herb from Chitrakoot (From Balkar ji)

Pl. correct if any of the above post is wrongly identified.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2190 members & 1,72,300 messages on 31/10/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species & 1,70, 000 images).

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 1, 2013, 3:59:40 AM11/1/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, sunoj kumar p, Balkar Singh, Nidhan Singh, satish pardeshi, Sibdas Ghosh
Garg ji
One uploaded by Sibdas ji is clearly not L. cephalotes. It appears L. aspera

One by Balkar ji may be but bracts are not clear from distant shot