Names of Plants in India :: Telugu name of Justicia betonica

Dinesh Valke

Sep 21, 2016, 11:12:34 AM9/21/16
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Dear friends, please help in providing the Telugu name tellarantu (or thellarantu) for Justicia betonica, in native script.
Reference : ENVIS - FRLHT

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Sep 21, 2016, 11:38:36 AM9/21/16
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
From the dictionary, I could find తెల్ల = white / pale ... a prefix quite often used to describe a white / pale form of some aspect of the plant.
But I am not confident with the latter part of the name "rantu".

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Sep 21, 2016, 11:09:06 PM9/21/16
to efloraofindia
Thank you very much Lalithamba ji for the name and etymology. Great help.
Regards.
Dinesh