Request for id of a huge tree_SSN_Aug 2010

shubhada nikharge

Aug 30, 2010, 6:08:12 AM8/30/10
to indian tree pix
Hi,
Request for id of a huge tree at Kamla Nehru Park, Malabar Hill, Mumbai seen in the last week of Aug 2010.
A spreading tree like Samanea saman (Rain tree).  Canopy much broader than its height.
Leaves bi pinnate, leaflets pointy. No flowers, no fruits on the tree.

Gland like structure at the junction of lowest side stalk and 2 uppermost side stalks. No such structure for in-between side stalks.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

unid huge tree 2010_0826_4 e.jpg
unid huge tree - leaves 2010_0826_ 1 e.jpg
unid huge tree - pointy leaflets 2010_0826_2 e.jpg
unid huge tree bark 2010_0826_3 e.jpg
unid huge tree bipinnate leaves 2010_0826_5 e.jpg
unid huge tree - gland at lowest side stalk 2010_0826_6 e.jpg
unid huge tree - glands at 2 uppermost side stalks 2010_0826_ 7 e.jpg
unid huge tree - leaves 2010_0826_9 e.jpg
unid huge tree leaves 2010_0826_8 e.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Aug 30, 2010, 7:06:34 AM8/30/10
to efloraofindia
Good find Shubhada, I was looking out for this tree in Mumbai for a
long time. This would be Albizia julibrissin, though not too sure, the
Persian Silk Tree. It has pink flowers resembling the Rain Tree. Pls
keep watching for flowers in early summer. Regards, Shrikant

On Aug 30, 3:08 pm, shubhada nikharge <shubhada_nikha...@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:
>  unid huge tree 2010_0826_4 e.jpg
> 118KViewDownload
>
>  unid huge tree - leaves 2010_0826_ 1 e.jpg
> 166KViewDownload
>
>  unid huge tree - pointy leaflets 2010_0826_2 e.jpg
> 95KViewDownload
>
>  unid huge tree bark 2010_0826_3 e.jpg
> 131KViewDownload
>
>  unid huge tree bipinnate leaves 2010_0826_5 e.jpg
> 108KViewDownload
>
>  unid huge tree - gland at lowest side stalk 2010_0826_6 e.jpg
> 65KViewDownload
>
>  unid huge tree - glands at 2 uppermost side stalks 2010_0826_ 7 e.jpg
> 130KViewDownload
>
>  unid huge tree - leaves 2010_0826_9 e.jpg
> 119KViewDownload
>
>  unid huge tree leaves 2010_0826_8 e.jpg
> 88KViewDownload

shubhada nikharge

Aug 30, 2010, 7:32:56 AM8/30/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji,
thanx for the clue. But leaflets do not seem to be oblong. can it be Enterolobium contortisiliquum (Ear pod tree)?
Extremely sorry for bad pics.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Aug 30, 2010, 9:14:02 AM8/30/10
to Kenneth Greby, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shubhada and friends ... this is Albizia amara ... please do not get surprised by my ID power ... call it plaque confidence !!
Attached is photo showing the plaque put on the same tree you are referring (at Kamala Nehru Park).
And also a photo showing the same tree (photo taken on 28 OCT 07).

But IDs put on plaques are often found to be incorrect, spelling error being most common.
... so the ID yet needs validation !!

Regards.
P1110396_cropped.jpg
P1110398.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 30, 2010, 9:46:47 AM8/30/10
to Dinesh Valke, Kenneth Greby, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
This is Albizia amara undoubtedly, as said by Dinesh Ji
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Vijayasankar

Aug 30, 2010, 10:51:39 AM8/30/10
to indiatreepix, Dinesh Valke, Kenneth Greby, shrikant ingalhalikar
Dinesh ji, it doesn't look like A. amara, in which the leaflets are narrower and usually obtuse at apex.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Dinesh Valke

Aug 30, 2010, 12:13:59 PM8/30/10
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Kenneth Greby, shrikant ingalhalikar
... many thanks Vijayasankar ji, plaque ID are indeed ambiguous !!!
Regards.

shubhada nikharge

Aug 30, 2010, 1:29:50 PM8/30/10
to Dinesh Valke, Kenneth Greby, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji & Tanay ji,
The tree in Dinesh's photograph is the same, no doubt.
But, one cant rely on the plaques, especially put by MCGM.
Again, the discription of the leaflet does not tally. Leaflets of A. amara are described as oblong and rounded at the tip. which is not so in my pic.
The presence of glands matches with that of Enterolobium contortisiliquum ( Ref from the book - Trees of Delhi )

Hi Kenneth,
I am sorry to use vague terms. 'Huge' is a relative term. The trunk of this tree can not be compared with that of Adansonia digitata.   it would be correct to say that the canopy was much broader than its height.

Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Aug 30, 2010, 11:51:56 PM8/30/10
to shubhada nikharge, Dinesh Valke, Kenneth Greby, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear All
I think this could be Albizia odoratissima. The base of the ansa is oblique or truncate.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.
--
Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,

J.M. Garg

Oct 10, 2010, 3:16:06 AM10/10/10
to efloraofindia, shubhada nikharge, Kenneth Greby, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, senthilkumar umapathy, Vijayasankar Raman

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1400 members & 49,500 messages on 5/10/10 & with a database of around 4050 species on 21/8/10)

unid huge tree 2010_0826_4 e.jpg
unid huge tree - leaves 2010_0826_ 1 e.jpg
unid huge tree - pointy leaflets 2010_0826_2 e.jpg
unid huge tree bark 2010_0826_3 e.jpg
unid huge tree bipinnate leaves 2010_0826_5 e.jpg
unid huge tree - gland at lowest side stalk 2010_0826_6 e.jpg
unid huge tree - glands at 2 uppermost side stalks 2010_0826_ 7 e.jpg
unid huge tree - leaves 2010_0826_9 e.jpg
unid huge tree leaves 2010_0826_8 e.jpg

rajdeo singh

Oct 12, 2010, 6:06:44 AM10/12/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, shubhada nikharge, Kenneth Greby, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, senthilkumar umapathy, Vijayasankar Raman
Hello,
Thats Enterolobium cyclospermum from Mimosaceae.

Rajdeo Singh
Project fellow
St. Xavier's College,
Mumbai