¿ Flemingia macrophylla ? at Pachmarhi :: 18 SEP 13 :: DV

Dinesh Valke

Oct 8, 2013, 8:09:32 AM10/8/13
to efloraofindia

... dense forests of Pachmarhi
Pachmarhi ... about 3600 feet ft asl
Date / Time: 18 SEP 13 at 13:29 PM ... Altitude: about 3670 ft asl

¿ Flemingia macrophylla ? ... (family: Fabaceae)
Habit: sub-shrub, standing about 1m
Habitat: mixed deciduous forest
The flower about 10 - 12 mm across. I have a strong feeling this plant must be Flemingia macrophylla; please validate.
¿ Flemingia macrophylla ?

¿ Flemingia macrophylla ?

¿ Flemingia macrophylla ?

¿ Flemingia macrophylla ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Balkar Singh

Oct 8, 2013, 9:33:54 AM10/8/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nice shots Dinesh Ji. Yes it looks like Flemingia macrophylla

Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology &
Horticulture Incharge
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

Oct 8, 2013, 9:48:47 AM10/8/13
to Balkar Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Wonderful find Dinesh ji.
Very good photographs.

Dr Satish Phadke

Nidhan Singh

Oct 8, 2013, 10:15:16 AM10/8/13
to Satish Phadke, Balkar Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
To me the identification seems okay..very beautiful pictures Dinesh Ji..
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Oct 8, 2013, 10:20:35 AM10/8/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Pls confirm if leaves were 15- 25 cm long. Regards

Dinesh Valke

Oct 8, 2013, 11:49:40 AM10/8/13
to Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Balkar ji and Nidhan ji for the ID: Flemingia macrophylla

Shrikant ji ... the  trifoliate leaf is about 12 - 15 cm ... please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks Satish ji for the appreciation.

On going through Flowers of India, I found one plant quite similar to mine - Winged-Stalk Flemingia - Flemingia semialata

And then going through three floras - there seems to different treatments for Flemingia semialata
Flora of China ... Flemingia macrophylla (Willdenow) Prain ... there is no mention of Flemingia semialata
Flora of Pakistan ... Flemingia semialata Roxb. ex Aiton
Annotated Checklist of the Flowering Plants of Nepal ... Flemingia semialata Roxb.  ... syn. of Flemingia macrophylla (Willd.) Merr.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Oct 26, 2013, 4:39:18 AM10/26/13
to Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia, Hukam Singh Gehlot, Dr Umeshkumar Tiwari, Dr Abdul Jabbar M, Nidhan Singh, Nayan Singh, Satish Chile, Karuna Verma, Kartikeya Singh
GRIn gives Flemingia semialata Roxb. as a valid name, while The Plant List gives it as a syn. of Flemingia macrophylla (Willd.) Merr.

In view we may take them as different species.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Oct 26, 2013, 5:30:01 AM10/26/13
to J.M. Garg, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish Qureshi, efloraofindia, Hukam Singh Gehlot, Dr Umeshkumar Tiwari, Dr Abdul Jabbar M, Nidhan Singh, Nayan Singh, Satish Chile, Karuna Verma, Kartikeya Singh
Many thanks Garg ji for resurfacing this thread.

Shrikant ji has sent me the key to check what agrees with my plant ...............

Dinesh, I want to know if you can see (and also show) these key features in your plant that lead to ID as F. semialata. ....
The key goes as
Leaves 3 foliolate
   Erect shrubs
      Flowers in axillary racemes
         Calyx with a distinct tube
            Racemes branched, longer than petiole, petioles winged ...F. semialata
            Racemes simple, shorter than petioles, petioles angled.....F. macrophylla
 Regards

My plant, I find the petiole is winged, inflorescence is branched, clearly longer than the petiole - thus, F. semialata.

I believe Nidhan ji's post also has F. semialata. It shows winged petiole, branched raceme longer than petiole.

Regards.
Dinesh