Amaranthaceae herb id from Hooghly 12/10/12 sk

surajit koley

Oct 11, 2012, 3:16:09 PM10/11/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Found this herb in a waste place.

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : wild herb, about 1 to 1.5 feet; leaves are significantly bigger at base
Date : 11/10/12, 3.10 p.m.
Place : Hooghly

Thank you & Regards,

surajit
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3883.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3913.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3885.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3886.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3898.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3901.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3903.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3905.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3908.jpg
11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3912.jpg

Vijayasankar

Oct 11, 2012, 6:05:43 PM10/11/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Nice pictures of Achyranthes aspera.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

surajit koley

Oct 11, 2012, 9:49:58 PM10/11/12
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Good morning Vijayasankar Ji,

I have an earlier post of Achyranthes aspera L. at - https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/5Lmu-wGQCSI/discussion
The leaves of this species differ from those in the above post. Maybe different variety.

Thank you and Regards,

surajit

Prabhu kumar KM

Oct 11, 2012, 11:47:06 PM10/11/12
to surajit koley, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia

Dear all,

Achyranthes aspera L., Sp. Pl. 204. 1753, var. aspera
Stem tomentose. Leaves 6-10 x 3-6 cm, broadly elliptic to obovate, apex abruptly acuminate, tomentose, nerves 6 pairs; petiole 5 mm long. Spike to 20 cm long, hispid; bracts 6 mm long, lanceolate, aristate; bracteoles entire, aristate. Flowers deflexed; tepals 7.5 x 2 mm, elliptic, acute, glabrous, equal; ovary truncate at apex. Achenes 3 mm long, ovoid, brown.
Habitat: Dry deciduous forests and forest plantations, also in the plains.

Achyranthes aspera L. var. porphyristachya (Wall. ex Moq.) Hook. f.
Straggling subshrubs. Leaves decussate, oblanceate, 3-6 by 2-3 cm, base cuneate, apex acuminate, pubescent, chartaceous. Flowers in terminal and / or axillary spikes, bisexual; bracts and bracteoles spine-tipped; tepals 5, unequal, 1-3 nerved; stamens 5, connate, alternate with fimbriate staminodes; ovary superior, 1-locular, ovule 1, basal. Fruit a dehiscent utricle. Seed 1.
Habitat: Moist deciduous forests

Achyranthes aspera L. var. pubescens (Miq.) Towns.
Erect herbs; stem glabrous. Leaves to 6 x 2.5 cm, ovate-lanceolate, acuminate at apex and base, pubescent above and below; petiole 5 mm long. Spike 5-10 cm long, hispid; bracts 2.5 mm long, lanceolate, aristate; bracteoles orbicular, emarginate at apex, cuspidate, cusp 3 mm long. Flowers many, perpendicular to the axis; outer tepals larger, 5 mm long, lanceolate, acuminate, glabrous, inner smaller with revolute apex; staminal tube truncate, minutely ciliate or glabrous. Achenes 2 mm long, truncate, cuspidate, dark brown.
Habitat: Evergreen forests at high elevations

Please compare.

Regards
--
Prabhu Kumar K M
Scientist

ushadi Micromini

Oct 12, 2012, 2:18:25 AM10/12/12
to Prabhu kumar KM, surajit koley, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Surajit:
your pic 2 is typical infloresence 11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3885.jpg
of APAAMARG of Ayurveda.

and P. Kumar has explaind the varietal differences...

usha di

Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Oct 12, 2012, 3:40:20 PM10/12/12
to Prabhu kumar KM, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Sir,

Leaf apex and base are very confusing to me, and to FoC & FoP too!
A description of leaf apex of Achyranthes aspera L., Sp. Pl. 204. 1753, var. aspera -
  1. in FoC =  apex obtuse or mucronate
  2. in FoP = obtuse or abruptly apiculate at the apex
An illustration in FoP tells me that my earlier upload (20th July, 2012) is Achyranthes aspera L., Sp. Pl. 204. 1753, var. aspera.

Dinesh Ji has a pic of Achyranthes aspera L. var. porphyristachya (Wall. ex Moq.) Hook. f. in flickr. - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/2897903559/
The leaves of my species seem to be different from the above. But at the same time my picture (11oct12_grlgch_DSCN3898.jpg) tells me that my species has decussate leaves, and may be with cuneate base.

Now, remains Achyranthes aspera L. var. pubescens (Miq.) Towns. -
  1. a herbarium = http://florida.plantatlas.usf.edu/SpecimenDetails.aspx?PlantID=1611
  2. attaching more images taken today. Middle spike is much longer than 10 cm. I scaled two leaves of the plant, one at base and the other at middle of the stem. Leaves at the base region are much bigger than the keys you have provided in this thread.
  3. Moreover, this plant comes from Gangetic plain, not from forests at high elevations.
So. i am not sure of the ID of this A. aspera.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

surajit

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Prabhu kumar KM <prabhum...@gmail.com> wrote:
12oct12_DSCN4011.jpg
12oct12_DSCN4012.jpg
12oct12_DSCN4014.jpg
12oct12_DSCN4015.jpg
12oct12_DSCN4016.jpg

surajit koley

Oct 12, 2012, 3:45:05 PM10/12/12
to ushadi Micromini, Prabhu kumar KM, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

"Plant Groups" mentions this species as APANG in Bengali and APAMARGA in Sanskrit.

Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Oct 13, 2012, 3:50:19 PM10/13/12
to Prabhu kumar KM, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini
Sir,

Today (13/10/12) i found another plant which i think is the same species. This one is not less than four feet high and may be called a sub shrub. Attaching new pictures.

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

13oct12_DSCN4018.jpg
13oct12_DSCN4019.jpg
13oct12_DSCN4020.jpg
13oct12_DSCN4021.jpg
13oct12_DSCN4025.jpg
13oct12_DSCN4026.jpg
13oct12_DSCN4030.jpg

ushadi Micromini

Oct 14, 2012, 1:32:15 AM10/14/12
to surajit koley, Prabhu kumar KM, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Yes
seems Aapaang likes to grow in the disturbed rocky/broken bricks kinda soil!!1

usha di
=
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Oct 14, 2012, 11:33:43 AM10/14/12
to ushadi Micromini, Prabhu kumar KM, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Thank you Usha Di for the info on habitat of this plant.

I noticed a few more of this plant around my PARA. The plants here are not as big and sturdy as the third set of photographs in this post or thread. But, neither they are as small as what we usually see on roadside and waste place. I think -
  1. This variety does not form community, rather they are scattered here and there. More of an under-shrub than a herb.
  2. They may grow big, like a shrub, if left undisturbed. Regular removal of roadside weeds and collection of fuel wood by not so privileged villagers bar them to grow more.
  3. Unequal tepals, as can be seen in newly attached two pictures with this mail, suggests that it may be Achyranthes aspera L. var. porphyristachya (Wall. ex Moq.) Hook. f., conforming to the keys provided by Prabhu Sir.
Thank you and Regards,

surajit
Achyranthes_14oct12_DSCN4133.jpg
Achyranthes_14oct12_DSCN4136.jpg

jmgarg1

Oct 23, 2012, 12:11:34 PM10/23/12
to efloraofindia, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, surajitno...@gmail.com, sujan...@yahoo.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Prabhu kumar KM

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1980 members & 1,33,000 messages on 30/9/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

Achyranthes_14oct12_DSCN4133.jpg
Achyranthes_14oct12_DSCN4136.jpg

surajit koley

Oct 23, 2012, 9:13:15 PM10/23/12