Pentapetes phoenicea L. from Hooghly

surajit koley

Sep 21, 2012, 1:54:04 PM9/21/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

This is an ornamental herb, once very common in home yard.
Unlike FoI (http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Midday%20Flower.html) it is known as SURJYA-MONI or DUPURE-MONI in Bengali. Another Bengali name found in a book is DUPUREY-CHANDI.

Habit & Habitat : ornamental herb, about 5.5 feet high
Date : 19/9/12, 3.55 p.m.
Place : Garalgacha (Hooghly)
sites visited :

Regards,

surajit
DSCN2077.jpg
DSCN2078.jpg
DSCN2079.jpg
DSCN2080.jpg
DSCN2081.jpg
DSCN2083.jpg

Nidhan Singh

Sep 22, 2012, 1:23:45 AM9/22/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Lovely pictures Surajit Ji....I cannot guess why this beautiful plant is loosing popularity as an ornamental..perhaps longer life-span and lesser period in flowering.......

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assisstant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

surajit koley

Sep 22, 2012, 12:12:52 PM9/22/12
to Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Good evening Sir,

These days they are going for exotic plants like Dahlia, Zinnia, Cosmos,  Adenium, Techoma, Alamandra, various shades of roses and Hibiscus, ornamental cycas and many many more i do not know. However, a few of those Dahlia, Zinnia, roses were also present in my childhood.

Thank you very much,

Regards,

surajit

ushadi Micromini

Sep 23, 2012, 1:32:24 AM9/23/12
to surajit koley, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Surajit very nice
is this wild or in someone's garden
if wild can you see if you can take acuuting and rooit?

or are there seedspod s ?

usha di

=

Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Sep 23, 2012, 11:50:40 AM9/23/12
to ushadi Micromini, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

The owner has this plant in his front yard.
If i remember well, i found this species in wild as well, though years ago.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Sep 29, 2012, 1:12:16 PM9/29/12
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

Found this plant again, this time in the wild.

Regards,

surajit
DSCN2979.jpg
DSCN2981.jpg
DSCN2985.jpg

ushadi Micromini

Sep 29, 2012, 1:13:26 PM9/29/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
wonderful
so hope for the pods and seeds?

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

ushadi Micromini

Sep 29, 2012, 1:15:06 PM9/29/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
oh, does it grow in a bog?

how can one then collect seeds?

not possible then let it go
--
Usha di

surajit koley

Sep 29, 2012, 1:22:54 PM9/29/12
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

It is growing beside a ditch along a rural roadside. I think i can collect some seeds, for my mom too.

Regards,

surajit