Names of Plants in India :: Tamil name for Artabotrys zeylanicus

Dinesh Valke

Oct 11, 2016, 7:45:32 AM10/11/16
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear friends and Vijayasankar ji,
Any name in Tamil for Artabotrys zeylanicus ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar Raman

Oct 11, 2016, 11:06:08 AM10/11/16
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,
I couldn't find any specific Tamil name for Artabotrys zeylanicus may be due to rare occurrence of the species in the State.
I however noticed that sometimes the Tamil name of A. hexapetalus, 'Manoranjitham' (மனோரஞ்சிதம்), is also applied to A. zeylanicus (either by error or) possibly because of its similarity with the former species.
--
Vijayasankar

Vijayasankar Raman
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, USA

Dinesh Valke

Oct 11, 2016, 11:38:08 AM10/11/16
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia
Thanks very very much Vijayasankar ji for your thoughts.
I too found mention of மனோரஞ்சிதம் manoranjitham at flickr.

I would go with this name especially because the name is shared even in Malayalam and Telugu languages.

Thanks once again.
Regards.
Dinesh