Cucurbit for ID

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Sep 26, 2010, 12:05:06 AM9/26/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Pls ID this anuual climber. Leaves broadly ovate, cordate, coarsely serrate, 8-12 cm. Flowers 8-10 cm, pale yellow. Fruits caducous prematurely but resemble Momordica, 3 cm long, tubercled, red.

Shrikant Ingalhalikar
12 Varshanand Society
Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
Pune 411 051. www.idsahyadri.com
Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
Cucurbit.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 26, 2010, 12:31:16 AM9/26/10
to Shrikant Ingalhalikar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Shrikant ji
Flower size, is it cm or mm?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

shrikant ingalhalikar

Sep 26, 2010, 10:20:48 AM9/26/10
to efloraofindia
Singh Sir, the flowers are really that big, about 10 cm. This is found
on a hedge and vegetable vendors sit near it. I wonder if it is any of
the plants used as vegetables but I do not know any. Regards, Shrikant

.
On Sep 26, 9:31 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shrikant ji
> Flower size, is it cm or mm?
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Shrikant Ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com
>

> > wrote:
> > Pls ID this anuual climber. Leaves broadly ovate, cordate, coarsely
> > serrate, 8-12 cm. Flowers 8-10 cm, pale yellow. Fruits caducous prematurely
> > but resemble Momordica, 3 cm long, tubercled, red.
>
> > Shrikant Ingalhalikar
> > 12 Varshanand Society
> > Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
> > Pune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.com
> > Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
> > Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
> > <http://sigads.rediff.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.rediffmail.co...>- Hide quoted text -

Dinesh Valke

Sep 26, 2010, 12:44:07 PM9/26/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji ... resembles Momordica cochinchinensis at FOI http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Chinese%20Cucumber.html ... differs in colour.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 26, 2010, 1:28:47 PM9/26/10
to Dinesh Valke, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji, you are right, it is Momordica cochinchinensis. Yellowish colour appears to be the rule, white a rarity.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

shrikant ingalhalikar

Sep 26, 2010, 8:39:19 PM9/26/10
to efloraofindia
Yes it is the female plant of M. cochinchinensis. Now I should look
for a male plant to enjoy the Chinese Cucumber. Thank you Dr.
Gurcharan Singh ji and Dinesh ji. Regards, Shrikant.

On Sep 26, 10:28 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dinesh ji, you are right, it is Momordica cochinchinensis. Yellowish colour
> appears to be the rule, white a rarity.
>
> http://gardeningwithwilson.com/2008/10/14/the-spiny-bittergourd-omord...
>
> http://blog.yume.vn/xem-blog/nho-hoi-nho-qua-.nhim_lemon07.35B670F5.html
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> <http://gardeningwithwilson.com/2008/10/14/the-spiny-bittergourd-omord...>
>
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Shrikant ji ... resembles *Momordica cochinchinensis* at FOI
> >http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Chinese%20Cucumber.html...
> > differs in colour.
> > Regards.
>
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM, shrikant ingalhalikar <
> > le...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Singh Sir, the flowers are really that big, about 10 cm. This is found
> >> on a hedge and vegetable vendors sit near it. I wonder if it is any of
> >> the plants used as vegetables but I do not know any. Regards, Shrikant
>
> >> .

> >> le...@rediffmail.com

> >> prematurely

> >>http://sigads.rediff.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.rediffmail.co...>-

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 26, 2010, 9:40:58 PM9/26/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Snrikant ji, best of luck for male plants. An intelligent grower generally grows several vines in the same area to get a good mixture of male and female plants.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

nabha meghani

Sep 27, 2010, 5:35:12 AM9/27/10
to Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
A stupid question from me again!

I had the impression that there are male as well as female flowers on ons single plant.
I had grown zucchinis this year , and pumpkins last year. though I had  put four seed in the soil just one plant survived and produced fruits. So why Shrikant ji  should look
for a male plant?
Do Chinese Cucumber behave differently?

Regards
Nalini

shrikant ingalhalikar

Sep 27, 2010, 7:24:12 AM9/27/10
to efloraofindia
Singh Sir, I have not grown this plant, I found it on a hedge in a
subji-mandi. I suppose the Chinese Cucumber must be coming to that
market, I must keep an eye for ripe fruits. Thank you for the
information.
Nabha ji, this plant grows unisexual flowers on separate plants
(dioecious) unlike some other Momordicas. If I happen to know a male
plant, I could carry out artificial pollination to fertilise a few
flowers of this female plant that I know. A valid question anyway.
Regards, Shrikant