Lamiaceae (inc. Verbenaceae) Fortnight: Lamiaceae - Leucas aspera (Willd.) Link Assam – KD 11 MAY 2015

Karuna Das

May 4, 2015, 10:43:02 AM5/4/15
to indiantreepix

Dear All,

    Attached images are Leucas aspera (Willd.) Link. In two images the specimen is infested by Cuscuta reflexa.

Date :.2012 & 2013

Location: Assam

With regards

Karuna Kanta Das

Guwahati 781012

Get your own FREE website, FREE domain & FREE mobile app with Company email.
Know More >
1._Leucas_aspera_-_Habitat_IMG_1621.jpg
2._Leucas_aspera_IMG_1622.jpg
3._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_DSC02511.JPG
4._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_DSC02513.JPG
5._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_IMG_1623.jpg

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 4, 2015, 12:41:38 PM5/4/15
to Karuna Das, indiantreepix
Yes Karunaji, I know at least this species.
Regards,
TC.

surajitkoley

May 4, 2015, 2:28:13 PM5/4/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I am afraid this is not L. aspera (Willd.) Link.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2015, 11:22:32 PM5/4/15
to surajitkoley, efloraofindia
At least the Oblique calyx, leaves, floral clusters all suggest L. aspera. It would help if Surajit ji gives reasons for his doubt.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

May 5, 2015, 12:56:07 PM5/5/15
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
If this is Leucas aspera then the one I have, photographed and submitted twice in the same thread, identified by Dr. Gurcharan Singh, is not Leucas aspera.

And the other I have, identified by Dr. Vijayasankar and Dinesh Ji, is not Leucas lavandulifolia.

Thank you
Regards

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2015, 11:27:11 PM5/5/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
These repeat episodes are meant for this purpose only, rechecking and improving upon identifications. Your first plant earlier identified as L. aspera I think is L. ciliata (I have written in that thread also) with very long calyx lobes, strongly hispid. Your L. lavandaefolia I think is very distinct in lacking long hairs on calyx and upper calyx lobe being much longer than others as also very weakly crenate repand leaves.
    I hope Sampath ji will help us in resolving the issue.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

V. Sampath Kumar

May 6, 2015, 6:12:45 AM5/6/15
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Actually the Leucas group for India is done by Dr. V. Singh. Dr. Sunoj also worked for Peninsular India. The former published Leucas of India in J Econ Taxon Bot Addl series. I have checked the keys in V. Singh's work  and found Dr. Gurucharan provided characters are tallying mainly the size of the calyx lobe and indumentum characters important to distinguish this species.
Better follow what Gurucharanji provided key characters.

Sampath Kumar
May 6, 2015, 6:32:37 AM5/6/15
to V. Sampath Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Gurcharanji

and Sampath ji

usha di
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

May 6, 2015, 11:25:45 AM5/6/15
to Ushadi Micromini, V. Sampath Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Respected my teachers in this group,

I am totally confused.

As per Flora of China (my only latest source of information are these efloras, and I have been told by Gurcharan Sir that we can rely on them mostly ) :-

plants hispid, calyx slightly oblique at mouth......... = KEY 7
there are two species under KEY-7 = L. aspera & L. zeylanica.
FoC thinks, in L. aspera, calyx tubular....... slightly hispid or sub-glabrous at base, otherwise densely hispid outside, mouth oblique... teeth straight ... apex spinescent

There are many pics of L. aspera in the net, I am not to judge who is correct and who is not, one person, from Indonesia, follows the above description - https://www.flickr.com/photos/87453322@N00/4290631956/, I think.

I am really sorry that I have failed and I still fail to see the above features in the set of photographs submitted in this thread.

I will deal with Leucas ciliata in my own thread.

As I said I am very much confused. I am not sure if I should accept the ID of this species as Leucas aspera or I should wait for another repeat episode.

Thank you all for your kind teaching.

Regards

surajit koley

J.M. Garg

May 11, 2015, 8:08:27 AM5/11/15
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, surajit koley, Karuna Kanta Das

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

1._Leucas_aspera_-_Habitat_IMG_1621.jpg
2._Leucas_aspera_IMG_1622.jpg
3._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_DSC02511.JPG
4._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_DSC02513.JPG
5._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_IMG_1623.jpg

surajit koley

May 12, 2015, 1:14:07 PM5/12/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Karuna Kanta Das
Backed by three (maybe four) heavyweights it must be Leucas aspera (Willd.) Link. whether I accept or not! Please go ahead with the ID.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley

radha veach

May 16, 2015, 10:40:09 AM5/16/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, jmg...@gmail.com, kd_...@rediffmail.com, sing...@gmail.com
Dear everyone,

I have to say I think this is Leucas lavandulifolia Smith syn.Leucas linifolia (Roth) Sprengel.

regards
Radha

J.M. Garg

May 24, 2015, 1:18:41 AM5/24/15
to efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das, surajit koley, radha veach, Gurcharan Singh
Hi, Suarjit ji,
What do you finally consider it Leucas aspera or Leucas lavandulifolia ?
3._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_DSC02511.JPG
4._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_DSC02513.JPG
5._Leucas_aspera_-_infested_by_Cuscuta_reflexa_IMG_1623.jpg

surajit koley

May 24, 2015, 10:13:46 AM5/24/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das, radha veach, Gurcharan Singh
Respected Sir,

As a non-botanist-general member of this group, in connection with "Lamiaceae (incl. Verbenaceae) Fortnight", I already have recorded all I had to say on this thread.

Thank you

Regards

surajit koley