grass Panicum sp? Hooghly 19-06-12 SK

surajit koley

Jun 18, 2012, 3:02:02 PM6/18/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

Found a very small grass in an uncultivated land.

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : wild grass, height -  less than 1 foot, do not have any more detail
Date : 18/6/12, 9.35 a.m.
Place : Hooghly, WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley
DSCN5797_800x600.jpg
DSCN5798_800x600.jpg
DSCN5799_800x600.jpg
DSCN5826_800x600.jpg

dalia

Jun 19, 2012, 1:38:02 AM6/19/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Can it be Poa annua    ? I was searching eflioaindia site.

Dalia di

surajit koley

Jun 19, 2012, 2:56:41 PM6/19/12
to dalia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dalia Di,

Don't have any idea about grasses (or any plant). I searched all species mentioned in the reference book i use. None matches with these pictures.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Jun 22, 2012, 2:54:15 PM6/22/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

I recorded some more pictures of this grass today (22/06/2012). Attaching those pictures along with a brief description.

Average height : 25 cm.
leaf : 60 mm x 5 mm

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

nxt_DSCN5986.jpg
nxt_DSCN5987.jpg
nxt_DSCN5990.jpg
nxt_DSCN5991.jpg
nxt_DSCN5993.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Date : 18/6/12, 9.35 a.m.
Place : Hooghly, WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

surajit koley

Jun 24, 2012, 8:10:20 AM6/24/12
to Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Thank you Giby Sir, i will search for Panicum spp.

Regards,

Surajit

jmgarg1

Jul 1, 2012, 3:19:39 AM7/1/12
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Dr Preeti s, Giby Kuriakose, surajit koley, Dalia Set

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Probably a species of Panicum.
Regards,

Giby”

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

nxt_DSCN5986.jpg
nxt_DSCN5987.jpg
nxt_DSCN5990.jpg
nxt_DSCN5991.jpg
nxt_DSCN5993.jpg

surajit koley

Jul 1, 2012, 3:31:05 AM7/1/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia
Thank you Garg Sir for making the post resurface. I would also try myself today if i can obtain some more data from the net.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Jul 1, 2012, 2:04:17 PM7/1/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, Dr Preeti s, Giby Kuriakose, Dalia Set
Dear Respected Members,

I searched Panicum spp, that can be found in West Bengal. Info available at - http://kuedu.academia.edu/ProfSobhanKrMukherjee/Papers/978575/DIVERSITY_OF_GRASS_FLORA_OF_WEST_BENGAL_INDIA_WITH_SPECIAL_REFERENCE_TO_THEIR_UTILITY gives me following Panicum species -

Panicum atrosanguineum Hochst. ex. Rich.
Panicum auritum Presl. ex. Nees.
Panicum brevifolium L.
Panicum curuiflorum Horneman
Panicum elegantissimum Hook.
Panicum humidorum Buch.
Panicum khasianum Munro ex. Hook.
Panicum legantissimum Hook.
Panicum maximum Jacq.
Panicum miliaceum L.
Panicum notatum Retz.
Panicum paludosum Roxb.
Panicum psilopodium Trin
Panicum repens L.
Panicum sarmentosum Roxb.
Panicum smuatrense Roth. ex. Roem & Schult
Panicum trypheron Schult.
Panicum walense. Mez.

Out of the species mentioned above P. maximum, P. paludosum, P. repens, P. sarmentosumP. typheron are my choice, based upon google search. But Panicum maximum is a big grass and it is not likely to be my species here. Panicum sermentosum is stated as sandy soil inhabitant. Panicum paludosum is marsh inhabitant. That leaves me either P. repens or P. trypheron.

Description and images of Panicum repens can be found -

The words "gaping spikelets" draws my attention.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

Aug 11, 2015, 5:36:21 AM8/11/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
A reply from manoj ji as per another thread:
"Panicum psilopodium also known as P.coloratum"

Aug 11, 2015, 1:32:20 PM8/11/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg Sir.

Thank you