Pongamia pinnata

Prashant Awale

May 20, 2012, 3:41:24 AM5/20/12
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Seen this tree of Pongamia pinnata at Achara creek along with other mangrove trees. Flowers were looking too beautiful.

What surprised me was that the tree had spherical fruits (dried ones) hanging like grapes. Kindly have a look at enclosed photographs. Could this be due to some disease??

Regards
Prashant
Pongamia pinnata_0386.jpg
Pongamia pinnata_0390.jpg
Pongamia pinnata_0398.jpg
Karanj_0399.jpg

Rajesh Sachdev

May 20, 2012, 3:57:10 AM5/20/12
to efloraindia
Prashantji, I also observed the same at Barvi, Badlapur - which is deciduous forest. Wonder, I couldn`t report or give significance importance to it.

Gurcharan Singh

May 20, 2012, 5:54:22 AM5/20/12
to Rajesh Sachdev, efloraindia
Nice photographs Prashant ji. Very common in Delhi.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Chitra Shanker

May 20, 2012, 8:53:26 AM5/20/12
to indiantreepix
I really doubt if they have globular fruits coz  this being pushed as a biodiesal tree a lot of work jas been done on genetic variability. May be its drying of flower buds. I seem to see scale encrustations on the twigs which could have caused the drying

Dr. Chitra Shanker
Sr. Scientist (Entomology)
Directorate of Rice Research,
Rajendranagar, Hyderabad -500030

Vijayasankar

May 20, 2012, 10:28:30 AM5/20/12
to Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Chitra ji, those spherical structures are not fruits.
The following note from my book:
"Note: Two types of galls are commonly observed: one with elongated
swellings on leaf-surface, said to be caused by Eriophyes cheriani Massee;
and the other with globose, hard, 5-8 mm dia., spherical structures that are
often mistaken for normal fruits, reported to be caused by Asphondylia
pongamiae Felt. (Mani, 1965)."

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Prashant Awale

May 20, 2012, 10:54:21 AM5/20/12
to Vijayasankar, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Thanks Chitra ji for sharing your views. Thanks Vijayasankar ji for clarifying my doubts.
Regards
Prashant

ushadi Micromini

May 20, 2012, 11:05:26 AM5/20/12
to Vijayasankar, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Vijaya:
please bear with me, and explain... how come an infection has proper branching pattern and looks like they are replacing some normal structure like  a flower bud and bunches of them are hanging?? ..
I know these round things are not pongamia fruits they look like this see attached file...

thanks
Usha di
=

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Usha di
===========

DSC02696 pongamia pinnata fruits sm crp.jpg

Chitra Shanker

May 20, 2012, 12:02:36 PM5/20/12
to Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
@Vijayasankarji
I was merely responding to the description that it was globose fruits
"What surprised me was that the tree had spherical fruits (dried ones) hanging like grapes. Kindly have a look at enclosed photographs. Could this be due to some disease??" by Prasanth
If you refer to [efloraofindia:27751] Pongamia pinnata the conversion of reproductive parts into galls is a little more clearer  though not as clear as for Id. here we can see half the flower cluster has set pods. In the present case unless I can feel it it could be dried flower buds too for which Prasanth may have a better idea. Leaf galls by the eriophid mite are very distinct and are more prevalent than the woody galls.

Vijayasankar

May 20, 2012, 12:32:47 PM5/20/12
to ushadi Micromini, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Usha di:
I understand that the shape/structure of galls is determined by factors such as the plant part in question, stimuli from the gall-making organism and the response from the host plant.
This one is a leaf gall formed probably by Aceria pongamiae mite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PongamiaPinnataGall.jpg
The globose structures are probably of floral-galls as they are seen in panicles. I couldn't find much detail on net for this. Chitra ji may have a better explanation.

Here are some useful readings:
http://books.google.com/books?id=188UAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=pongamia+galls&source=bl&ots=XHVjCK4DVb&sig=WgGeNZYjvsdYFXUgAkpuNhVfXNI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4gu5T8z-Kq-e6QHpw6XwCg&ved=0CHEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=pongamia%20galls&f=false
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00222933308673760
http://journal-phytology.com/index.php/phyto/article/viewFile/10220/5194

Chitra ji:
My previous mail was a response to Prashant ji. I addressed to you by mistake, sorry for the inconvenience. You had clearly said that you "...really doubt if they have globular fruits...".

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

ushadi Micromini

May 20, 2012, 8:03:10 PM5/20/12
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Thanks, Vijay
1 for taking it so well and response is collegial
2 for all those links
after study I'll write to to you again
Usha di
=====