pink okra ID from Hooghly 05-05-12 SK-3

surajit koley

May 5, 2012, 2:01:25 PM5/5/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

The Bengali name for Hibiscus mutabilis is STHALPADMA and i have seen it shrub occasionally. But does it have okra like fruit? The attached pictures are of a herb, much smaller than STHALPADMA

Species : Hibiscus mutabilis L. ???
Habit & Habitat : wild herb, about 2 ft., uncultivated land
Date : 17-03-12, 9.54 a.m.
Place : Gobra (Hooghly), WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

DSCN0661.jpg
DSCN0662.jpg
DSCN0665.jpg

Mahadeswara

May 6, 2012, 7:46:25 AM5/6/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Negative.

surajit koley

May 6, 2012, 12:09:09 PM5/6/12
to Mahadeswara, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sir for confirming that it cannot be STHALPADMA.

It would be a prize catch if it is a mutant Hibiscus esculentus :)

Regards,

surajit

jmgarg1

May 13, 2012, 2:52:13 AM5/13/12
to efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, pamyn...@gmail.com, surajit koley, M Swamy

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Negative.” from Mahadeswara ji.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

DSCN0661.jpg
DSCN0662.jpg
DSCN0665.jpg

surajit koley

May 13, 2012, 3:28:46 AM5/13/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, pamyn...@gmail.com, M Swamy
Thank you very much, Garg Sir, for taking care of this species too.

Regards,

Surajit koley

jmgarg1

May 20, 2012, 4:52:05 AM5/20/12
to efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, surajit koley, M Swamy

Forwarding again forId confirmation orotherwise please.

Some earlierrelevant feedback:

Negative.” from Mahadeswara ji.

May 20, 2012, 8:45:44 AM5/20/12
to indiantreepix
This looks like Kasturi bhendi an ayurvedic herb Abelmoschus moschatus

--
Dr. Chitra Shanker
Sr. Scientist (Entomology)

surajit koley

May 20, 2012, 12:15:57 PM5/20/12
to Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Respected Dr. Chitra Ji,

Thank you very much for the ID of this plant. Taking cue from you i have found description and images at - http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Abelmoschus_moschatus. Also learned that these flowers can be yellow also.

Later in order to take more photographs i visited that particular place a number of times but the plant seemed to be vanished. I also searched the surrounding area, there was no trace of a second individual.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

ushadi Micromini

May 20, 2012, 7:51:07 PM5/20/12
to surajit koley, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
besh bhalo argument and link...

but look at the leaves ... your leaves do not at all match the leaves in toptropical's pictures... shape, venation and colors of vein are all different...

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Chitra Shanker

May 20, 2012, 9:25:38 PM5/20/12
to ushadi Micromini, surajit koley, indiantreepix
Check out this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abelmoschus_moschatus
Actually the yellow flowers when drying look pink. The flowers I have seen were not red like in toptropicals site

surajit koley

May 20, 2012, 10:50:45 PM5/20/12
to ushadi Micromini, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Good morning Usha Di

I have noticed the differences, last night, but then i thought it might be had been resulted from -
  • changes due to varieties
  • change due to plant age
  • change of habitat
  • change due to migration from cultivation to wild propagation
  • change in soil quality, say, available macro & micro nutrients, temp., humidity etc
Many a times i have noticed marked differences in leaf shapes & surface textures of Ipomoea aquatica and I. marginata.

But, then it might also be some other Abelmoschus sp. At least we have some clue now. Please also check -

However, attaching two uncropped images of the same plant for your perusal.

Regards,

surajit
DSCN0663x.jpg
DSCN0661x.jpg

surajit koley

May 20, 2012, 10:54:20 PM5/20/12
to Chitra Shanker, ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix
Good morning Madam

Thank you once again for the link and more information on the plant. I fail to find much data/images from Indian subcontinent so that i could compare the varieties, if available.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 21, 2012, 11:57:40 AM5/21/12
to ushadi Micromini, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Chitra Ji & Usha Di,

Today i visited the place once again. Found three saplings, 6 to 8 inches high, that i think of the same species. But, before i proceed please let me give a bit more details of those saplings. Those three saplings were planted in line with a gap of about 2 ft each. It is as if they were planted by someone, but only three?!

Attaching the images of leaves from those plants/saplings. Please note :-
One seller is selling a plant named "Hibiscus abelmoschus sagittifolius" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hibiscus-abelmoschus-sagittifolius-Salmon-Pink-Flowers-Caudiciform-10-seeds-/170843422874 !!! Well, it was for science only, in no way for promoting the seller :)

Thank you once again and Regards,

Surajit Koley

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:21 AM, ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
DSCN4435.jpg
DSCN4436.jpg
DSCN4440.jpg
DSCN4441.jpg
DSCN4442.jpg

surajit koley

Jun 26, 2012, 2:46:52 PM6/26/12
to ushadi Micromini, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Usha Di & Chitra Ji,

I am very sorry to say that those saplings, pictures attached here, are not Abelmoschus moschatus. I visited those saplings again and noticed that they have grown to blooming Hibiscus vitifolius L. as in - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/indiantreepix/Yk4fhIxo8eQ. ... :((

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley
DSCN4435.jpg
DSCN4436.jpg
DSCN4440.jpg
DSCN4441.jpg
DSCN4442.jpg

surajit koley

Jun 26, 2012, 2:51:12 PM6/26/12
to ushadi Micromini, Chitra Shanker, indiantreepix
Dear All Respected Members,

Though the second set of pictures of the saplings turned out to be another species, the plant featuring in the original post is surely Abelmoschus moschatus Medik., as have been identified by Chitra Ji.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

Nov 25, 2017, 10:49:51 AM11/25/17