two plants two names which is which: Ixora polyantha and Ixora finlaysoniana??

Gurcharan Singh

May 14, 2011, 7:15:42 AM5/14/11
to efloraofindia
These two types of plants of Ixora have been bothering me for a long time. Both differ clearly from similar species I. pavetta in much longer corolla tube, 20-30 mm long. Both have nearly elliptic-lanceolate to elliptic-oblanceolate leaves, 6-20 cm long, with cuneate base and narrowed to 5-10 mm long petiole. Both have white flowers, which in one  (sp-a) are lesser in number, forming a spreading inflorescence and petals are flat nearly 2.5 mm wide. In second (sp-b) flowers are more in number, dense and forming nearly globose inflorescence; with corolla lobes which are mostly reflexed along the margin (and looking similar to I. pavetta) so that they look very narrow (hardly 1-1.5 mm wide), but a few flowers would have flat corolla lobes which may be up to 2.5 mm wide or so (latter has been tentatively identified by Dinesh ji as I. finlaysoniana).

Ixora polyantha is described from Malabar in India and is commonly cultivated in Pakistan and India according to eFlora of India. Ixora finlaysoniana is plant from Thialand, Phillippines, widely cultivated in China and N E India, as per eFlora of China.

I have tried to find out differences between the two species from available sources, but could not succeed. Could any member lay hands to a publication which describes and keys out both the species, so that our specimens can be clearly fixed?.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ixora-sp-a-Delhi-1.jpg
Ixora-sp-a--Delhi-2.jpg
Ixora-sp-a-Delhi-3.jpg
Ixora-sp-b-Delhi-1.jpg
Ixora-sp-b-Delhi-2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 14, 2011, 7:28:21 AM5/14/11
to efloraofindia
Please read eFlora of India as eFlora of Pakistan

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Aug 21, 2011, 9:57:49 AM8/21/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, manudev madhavan, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, santhosh kumar es, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, tanay bose

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

Ixora-sp-a-Delhi-1.jpg
Ixora-sp-a--Delhi-2.jpg
Ixora-sp-a-Delhi-3.jpg
Ixora-sp-b-Delhi-1.jpg
Ixora-sp-b-Delhi-2.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 22, 2011, 2:05:38 AM8/22/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, manudev madhavan, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, santhosh kumar es, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
A reply:
"This is Ixora finlaysoniana
Santhosh"

J.M. Garg

Nov 14, 2011, 4:22:17 AM11/14/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, manudev madhavan, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, santhosh kumar es, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, tanay bose

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“This is Ixora finlaysoniana

Santhosh”

Nov 14, 2011, 10:11:06 AM11/14/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, manudev madhavan, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
There is a  good monograph on Indian species of Ixora by Tariq Hussain of NBRI. The key and description quite reliable and easy to use. Ixora polyantha is a remarkable species never confusing with any of these shown photographs. I will post a separate photograph of Ixora polyantha for comparison.

Santhosh
--
SANTHOSH
-----------------------------------

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR PhD, FIAT, FLS
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Karimancode P.O.
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala, India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
Ph: 0091 472 2585373 (Home)
    0091 9446085373 (Mobile)
    0091 4722869628 extn.225 (Office)
Please consider your environmental responsibility:Before printing this e-mail, ask yourself whether you need a hard copy!

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 14, 2011, 10:17:06 AM11/14/11
to Dr E S Santhosh Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, manudev madhavan, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Santosh ji
It would be helpful to know the full reference of this monograph on Ixora. I am waiting for your upload.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Samir Mehta

Mar 29, 2012, 11:09:36 AM3/29/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dr E S Santhosh Kumar, J.M. Garg, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, manudev madhavan, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, tanay bose
Any final guidelines / consensus in this matter?

Regards,

Samir Mehta