Acanthaceae Fortnight : Thunbergia For ID : Jijamata Udyan,Mumbai : 31MAR15 : AK-36

Aarti S. Khale

Mar 31, 2015, 6:33:33 AM3/31/15
to efloraofindia
Thunbergia grandiflora?
Kindly validate.
Aarti
Thunbergia,Mumbai-DSCN5210.JPG
Thunbergia-JU-P1010039.JPG
Thunbergia-JU-P1340180.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 4, 2015, 12:08:25 AM4/4/15
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale

Some earlier relevant feedback:

efi page on Thunbergia grandiflora

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aarti S. Khale <aarti...@gmail.com>
Date: 31 March 2015 at 16:03
Subject: [efloraofindia:219911] Acanthaceae Fortnight : Thunbergia For ID : Jijamata Udyan,Mumbai : 31MAR15 : AK-36
To: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>

Thunbergia grandiflora?
Kindly validate.
Aarti

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Thunbergia,Mumbai-DSCN5210.JPG
Thunbergia-JU-P1010039.JPG
Thunbergia-JU-P1340180.JPG

surajit koley

Apr 4, 2015, 2:39:54 AM4/4/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Aarti Ji,

Attached here FI description and Icones plate relating to T. grandiflora Roxb. I think inflorescence of T. grandiflora Roxb. is not featured by long drooping elongated raceme like the T. laurifolia Lindl. But, my view is personal only, because following eflora does not support my view -

Going by the above site, and also with old lit. I have found in the net there is no other way to visually differentiate the two species except for the leaf, petiole, flower size.

Going by the leaf shape, texture (dull against shiny?) I would rather vote for T. laurifolia Lindl.

I may be wrong suggesting the above.

Thank you
Regards

FI_thunbergia.jpg
Icones_thunbergia.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 4, 2015, 11:43:34 AM4/4/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Surajit Ji,
Thanks for your suggested id, links and additional information.
Let us wait for more comments.
Really appreciate the efforts taken by you.
Regards,
Aarti

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 4, 2015, 4:52:36 PM4/4/15
to Aarti S. Khale, surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Aarti
so did you read all those things that Surajit sent you?

what do you think your case is?

PLEASE LET ME//US KNOW

usha di

Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Apr 4, 2015, 11:50:23 PM4/4/15
to efloraofindia, M Swamy, Aarti S. Khale

Apr 5, 2015, 2:13:43 AM4/5/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Swamy
Thanks Mahadeswara Ji and Garg Ji.
Regards,
Aarti

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 5, 2015, 3:12:39 AM4/5/15
to Aarti S. Khale, surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Swamy, Ushadi Micromini
Gargji:
Please dont mark this as complete
its not complete  as far as the differential diagnosis is concerned
there are still afew lingering doubts  based on the australian experience  pages

usha di
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Apr 5, 2015, 3:26:23 AM4/5/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Aarti S. Khale, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Swamy
Well Didi, Garg Sir, Mahadeswara Sir, Aarti Ji,

from my part I am not opposing any suggested ID.

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 5, 2015, 5:45:34 AM4/5/15
to surajit koley, Aarti S. Khale, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Swamy
iti
this is not anybody's phd or even MS thesis

I have wasted enough time on this case

I am inclined to let it be...
lets close it
and mark it as complete if Gargji so desires...

when I run into one of these I'll take my usual umteen pictures with rulers and then we will see...
hopefully comparison of both species will be found soon...
Thanks Surajit

bye

Usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Saroj Kumar Kasaju

Dec 3, 2020, 4:14:14 AM12/3/20
to efloraofindia
My opinion is Thunbergia lauriflolia !
Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 17, 2021, 2:01:06 AM3/17/21
to efloraofindia
Yes Saroj ji you are right
There has been lot of discussion whenever T. grandiflora or T. lauriflora was uploaded by any member. Here are the differences
Thunbergia grandiflora                                                       Thunbergia laurifolia
1. Leaves ovate, to 20 cm long, angular toothed,            1.  Leaves ovate-lanceolate, to 12 cm long, much longer than broad
almost as broad as long.
2. Leaf base deeply cordate                                                2. Leaf based narrowed or shallowly cordate
3. Pedicel 4-5 cm long                                                          3. Pedicel 2 cm long

Here are my two plants from Delhi

Thunbergia-grandiflora-right-T-laurifolia-left-18-10-DSC05977-a.jpg
Thunbergia grand-lauri-Delhi.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Mar 17, 2021, 5:11:35 AM3/17/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks Saroj Ji.
I seem to have missed your reply earlier.
Regards,
Aarti

Aarti S. Khale

Mar 17, 2021, 5:12:47 AM3/17/21
to efloraofindia
Gurcharan Ji,
Thanks for letting us know the differences.
Regards,
Aarti

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 17, 2021, 9:00:47 AM3/17/21
to efloraindia

Thank you Guru Charan sir for the enlightenment.
Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 17, 2021, 9:01:32 AM3/17/21
to efloraindia, Aarti S. Khale