Coffee Locust on Gloriosa superba

Neil Soares

Aug 24, 2010, 1:31:55 PM8/24/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Was at my farm at Shahapur on Sunday. A Coffee Locust was feeding on the leaves of my Glory Lilies [though not captured in the photographs].
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.

Gloriosa superba flowering.jpg
Coffee Locust 1.jpg
Coffee Locust 2.jpg
Coffee Locust 3.jpg

Shantanu

Aug 24, 2010, 2:49:42 PM8/24/10
to efloraofindia
Mindblowing pics of Coffee locust and Glory Lillies...
thanks for sharing

Shantanu : )
>  Gloriosa superba flowering.jpg
> 169KViewDownload
>
>  Coffee Locust 1.jpg
> 87KViewDownload
>
>  Coffee Locust 2.jpg
> 84KViewDownload
>
>  Coffee Locust 3.jpg
> 78KViewDownload

tanay bose

Aug 24, 2010, 5:14:11 PM8/24/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Looks lovely n colourful
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

mani nair

Aug 25, 2010, 3:22:30 AM8/25/10
to tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Mr. Neil, Colorful locust.  Why it is called a Coffee locust?

Regards,

Mani.

Neil Soares

Aug 25, 2010, 12:39:48 PM8/25/10
to tanay bose, mani nair, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Hi Mani,
  It is found in large numbers on coffee estates, hence the common name. When handled it emits a liquid from thoracic pores that froths and emits an unpleasant odour - this along with its bright colours serves a protective function.
                    Regards,
                      Neil Soares.

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 25, 2010, 2:43:15 PM8/25/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Neil ji for useful information. In home garden I found these caterpillars infesting Gloriosa.

http://pankajoudhia.com/album/main.php?g2_itemId=13683

(Click on image to enlarge it.)

Without any delay I collected and presented it to the Traditional Healers using insects as medicine. They accepted this gift and now I am waiting for some good information. ;)

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

mani nair

Aug 26, 2010, 12:31:46 AM8/26/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks Mr. Neil for this useful information.

Regards,

Mani.