Fabaceae - Mimosoideae ( Mimosaceae) Week :: Albizia richardiana from Mumbai

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 7, 2012, 1:32:49 AM1/7/12
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar
A huge tree seen during the 'Tree Appreciation Walk' at Parsi Colony, Five Gardens, Mumbai in April, 2011.
It was so huge...I was not carrying my zoom lens so could not get any closer.
Aarti
Albizia richardiana-P1130730.JPG
Albizia richardiana-P1130731.JPG
Albizia richardiana-P1130732.JPG
Albizia richardiana-P1130733.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 7, 2012, 1:54:24 AM1/7/12
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar
Thanks Aarti ji for showing another unique plant

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

prasad dash

Jan 7, 2012, 2:07:54 AM1/7/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar
New for me. thanks  a lot Arti mam for showing us he diversity in Albizia. this is another very neat distant shot

Regards

prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

Prashant Awale

Jan 7, 2012, 3:14:31 AM1/7/12
to prasad dash, Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar
Nice upload Aarti ji. Thanks.
Regards
Prashant

Dinesh Valke

Jan 7, 2012, 4:21:04 AM1/7/12
to Prashant Awale, prasad dash, Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar
Another new plant for me. Many thanks Aarti ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

H S

Jan 7, 2012, 4:28:20 AM1/7/12
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant Awale, prasad dash, Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar
yes very nice photos, there are 3-4 trees in five garden (Dadar, Mumbai), unique feature to id the plant is stem is yellow in colour..
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

H S

Jan 7, 2012, 4:28:54 AM1/7/12
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant Awale, prasad dash, Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar
i mean yellowish

Madhuri Raut

Jan 7, 2012, 12:39:45 PM1/7/12
to H S, Dinesh Valke, Prashant Awale, prasad dash, Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar
very nice pics Aarti ji. It must have been a great sight to watch the huge tree
--
Regards
Dr.Bhagyashri Ranade

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 7, 2012, 1:55:41 PM1/7/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, prasad dash, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, H S, Madhuri Raut
Dear all,
Thanks for the encouraging words.
Dinesh ji, Prashant ji, next time I'm in town be ready, we'll go tree
hunting at Parsi Colony.
Aarti

On Jan 7, 10:54 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Aarti ji for showing another unique plant
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Ushadi micromini

Jan 8, 2012, 1:52:20 AM1/8/12
to efloraofindia
AArti ... nice pictures witha short lens...

but tell me...how does one know its ID...
are there labels on trees that a taxonomist studied and
identified...???

Usha di
=========

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 8, 2012, 3:06:03 AM1/8/12
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini, Gurcharan Singh, prasad dash, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, H S, Madhuri Raut, Usha Desai, renee vyas vyas
Usha di,
As I have stated earlier, there is a group known as 'Tree Appreciation
Group' (TAW) in Mumbai.
Some from this group are members on eflora too.
I had the pleasure of attending just one of their outings as I'm
usually not in Mumbai.
A list of trees to be seen is circulated in advance, & then each one
is shown & more information given about it.
It is generally a two hours walk.
Dr Usha Desai, Renee Vyas are some of the members I know & they know
the trees very well.They are eflora members as well.
Aarti

On Jan 8, 10:52 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

H S

Jan 8, 2012, 3:12:32 AM1/8/12
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
no mam, there is no label on the tree, its a old tree and recorded earlier by the taxonomist who did their ph.d. on the trees of the Mumbai, hence the identity passed on also to the common people w, and also the tree flowers and fruits every year, which used for identification by the experts..

ushadi Micromini

Jan 8, 2012, 9:58:18 AM1/8/12
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, prasad dash, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, H S, Madhuri Raut, Usha Desai, renee vyas vyas
AArti: I had forgotten about the group membership there,
and WOW... I do envy you...
makes me wistful...  I wish we had a knowledgeable preferably a botanist .. who was leading these walks...

when we go on a tree walk... sometimes its me... who ends up leading.. which is not ideal... and its not a learning experience for me... and I think I know very little...  certainly not taxonomy...

we need to get organized in Calcutta... and need a leader...  we may wish to duplicate your group's model here...

usha di...

Ushadi micromini

Jan 8, 2012, 11:41:17 AM1/8/12
to efloraofindia
So HS can one save seeds for me from this tree?
Usha di
ps can you?
=======

On Jan 8, 1:12 pm, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> no mam, there is no label on the tree, its a old tree and recorded earlier
> by the taxonomist who did their ph.d. on the trees of the Mumbai, hence the
> identity passed on also to the common people w, and also the tree flowers
> and fruits every year, which used for identification by the experts..
>
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com

J.M. Garg

Feb 5, 2014, 11:26:17 AM2/5/14
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
There seems to be two different species of Albizia richardiana as below:
1. As per GRIN:
Albizia richardiana King & Prain
= Albizia niopoides (Spruce ex Benth.) Burkart (Cultivated in India)

As per ILDIS: Albizia niopoides var. niopoides syn. Albizia richardiana King & Prain2- range not shown in India but in Mauritius(I)6

2. As per ILDIS: Albizia richardiana (Voigt) King & Prain
- Introduced in India (UP & WB)

May be somebody clarify which out of these two is the posted species.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg