26042010GS1 tree from Nainital for ID

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 26, 2012, 12:38:55 AM4/26/12
to efloraofindia
Having little knowledge about tropical and subtropical trees (except some growing in Delhi), I tend to mix them. This was the tree growing along Nainital lake and known as Bangar (as a local told me). The other tree identified by Satish ji as Lannea coromedelica grows common along hillsides.

Could this be what Nidhan ji suggested as Boswellia serrata, a very wild guess though. Perhaps two forms are growing side by side, one with perfectly green leaves and one having leaves with reddish tinge.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tanay Bose

Apr 26, 2012, 1:08:31 AM4/26/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Hi Sir Ji.
The tree looks quite like  Boswellia serrata as you mentioned.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research & Teaching Assistant.

Vijayasankar

Apr 26, 2012, 10:20:54 AM4/26/12
to Tanay Bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji,

I think this is not Boswellia serrata. It somewhat resembles Lannea coromandelica.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 26, 2012, 11:20:51 AM4/26/12
to Vijayasankar, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Thanks Vijayasankar ji
I thought they look different, especially the hanging inflorescence along with leaves. Let us see other views. I am novice regarding trees.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Mahadeswara

Apr 27, 2012, 9:38:12 AM4/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vijayasankar ji / Dr. Gurucharan ji,
The plant is not Lannea coromandelica.   L.c.  is a very common avenue tree in Chennai.  I have beautiful photographs of this plant .  I will post them after searching  from my old files.
Regards,
Mahadeswara Swamy.

Satish Phadke

Apr 27, 2012, 12:56:45 PM4/27/12
to Mahadeswara, indian...@googlegroups.com
I am also of the opinion that it is something else.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

jmgarg1

May 3, 2012, 7:46:28 AM5/3/12
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, amit...@gmail.com, prajn...@gmail.com, mithuc...@gmail.com, shreya....@gmail.com, abesh sanyal, Vijayasankar Raman, Nidhan Singh, Satish Phadke, M Swamy

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I think this is not Boswellia serrata. It somewhat resembles Lannea coromandelica.

Regards
Vijayasankar Raman”

“The plant is not Lannea coromandelica.   L.c.  is a very common avenue tree in Chennai.  I have beautiful photographs of this plant .  I will post them after searching  from my old files.
Regards,
Mahadeswara Swamy.”

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

jmgarg1

Dubia-tree-Bangar-Nainital-1-P1150766.jpg
Dubia-tree-Bangar-Nainital-2-IMG_0803.jpg
Dubia-tree-Bangar-Nainital-3-P1150765.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 24, 2012, 10:53:57 PM7/24/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Manoj ji for resolving this ID.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM, manoj chandran <mach...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,
This tree is Fraxinus micrantha common in Nainital. The local name is Angu. In English, it is called Ash.
Regards...
Manoj Chandran

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 29, 2021, 3:45:07 AM1/29/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as  Unidentified 3
Group discussion at
26042010GS1 tree from Nainital for ID (google.com)

Gurcharan Singh

Gurcharan Singh

Dubia-tree-Bangar-Nainital-1-P1150766.jpg
Dubia-tree-Bangar-Nainital-2-IMG_0803.jpg
Dubia-tree-Bangar-Nainital-3-P1150765.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 29, 2021, 3:55:58 AM1/29/21
to efloraindia
I guess Fraxinus micrantha  looks close !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju